This is an old revision of the document!
DC-KIII Laser Cutter
The next laser cutter class will be on Monday, November 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM. You can sign up on the Eventbright Laser Cutter Class page .
10/2/12 Update: LAEP delayed until more funds freed up (just bought an industrial building and land). Talked to David about doing a fund raising project to get a more powerful laser.
9/5/12 Update: Started working on the Laser Area Expansion Project (LAEP).
8/20/12 Update: The new laser tube has been installed. Installed the demo version of CorelDraw X6.
- We are attempting to arrange to have classes on this unit in the near future. Please email Doug (Thorpedo on the forums) at email@example.com to be added to a list to be notified when classes are set up.
- Do not open laser without shutting it off first.
- Do not destroy laser by running it without the cooling system operating.
- Vent laser to outside (put end of blue ventilation hose out window and check that the other end is firmly attached to the ventilation fan)
- Don't operate laser before first attending instruction class. This laser works a little differently than some other brands.
- This laser cutter does have it's idiosyncrasies. Be aware of them!
- MoshiDraw (see 2nd half of manual )\\ \\ * Files supported in MoshiDraw 9.92
YZ or BMP/JPG/JPEG
- Support file type in MoshiDraw 2012
•MDR -Moshidraw2012 file
•AI -Adobe Illustrator 8 (lines)
•DXF -AUTOCAD R12/R13/R14(line)
•PLT -HPGL Plotter
•BMP -Windows Bitmap
•JPG -JPEG Bitmap
•EMF -Enhanced windows Metafile
•WMF -Windows Metafile
- Tips: Working size is set in the option section on the right
'SaveOption' on the output to machine screen sets the defaults (it seems to default to inverse and concave, when you want normal and convex for most things)
The laser head will often get sent off in a random direction and not stop if it is at x0 y0. Just position the head at x1, y1 (or where ever) in the output window to avoid this problem.
- Microsoft Paint
- CorelDraw (wishlist)
Upgrades and Improvement List
- Lid Safety Switch - done
- Remove stamp clamp - done
- Weld-On #3 and bottle - purchased
- Ventilation upgrade
- Cooling System Indicator
- Air Assist
- Enlarge work area
- Stepper motor drive belt: LL2MR09
- 12mm case hardened shaft
- Y stepping motor:\\ * TYPE 42BYGH48901-39A
- CW No: 11.11.29
- X stepping motor:
- TYPE 42BYGH34907-102
- CW No. 11.11.29
- Cutting area height adjustment with mesh.
- Laser Engraver Computer:
- Install the 2nd Windows disk with the drivers and accessory programs.
- LAN cable for Internet access
- CorelDraw plug-in
- Rotary attachment for engraving mugs, glasses, and vases.
- Acrylic Bender
Authorized (trained) users.