Arduino for English Majors Class outline
Designed for the first session of Arduino for english majors 9/2011
Session 1 Introduction: Making it blink
Getting the Arduino working on your computer
- Install the Arduino
- Follow the directions for your specific OS
Go over the Arduino Board, what is, what it is not.
- Analog vs. Digital vs. PWM
- Voltage, Current, Power, Ohms Law
- Different versions of arduino, why the UNO is awesome!
Go over the basic components of electronics
- Voltage, current
- Capicators, and inductors
- LED, and Diodes
- Buttons, switches, variable resistors
- Hand out the a LED and Resistor, Data Sheets? Color Codes?
- Go over the LED Math equation, explain that electronics is very simple and follows the rules of electricity, and electricity thanks to a lot of very smart people, is explained by mathamatics.
- Intro to the IDE, What the buttons mean, a program/sketch
- What is coding, how to think like a computer programmer
- Go over Expamples-Blink.pde
- Explain the code, download
- Explain the highlight function
- Explain the write from scratch myth, but also explain that when learning code it's important to actually code ;)
- So…. Lets code….
- Digital Write
- enter in a delay Delay
Session 2 Serial Communication and Music
- Serial communication via the usb cable
- Speakers vs Piezos
Projects, and homework assingment for those who are so inclined.
More information on books and guides here.