Site Logo

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Open House Sign
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:30 pm 
Global Moderator

I found out tonight that the quick Open House Today sign I tossed together on a plexi window was shattered.

Bad Design, so on to v.02 ( I chose the plexi so it would stand to a fall, but failed in the QA testing stage) and I did intend to build a base for it, but doubt I would have secured it to the base.

So for V.02 I will do the same thing with a A frame of wood, and another Plexi window if there is one, and work towards a backlight for the later hours / winter.

But before I start with it, I thought I would ask if anybody would like it to say something else.

My plan is to do a

HackFactory in a light blue or gray a the top, with a similar Open house Now! in white, 4.5 inch letters all around, and when I get better Curve the HackFactory letters at the top. Then I would again spray the back with a dark color, though not dark enough to block a backlight.

But since it will be a couple days before I get back to the cutter, I thought I would toss it open to all.
I will consider anything, but since I am doing the work, I may exercise personal judgement on the final sign.

Also having said this, I have also volunteered to make vinyl letters for our new office exterior door, so I would like the space planning group or somebody to decide what they want said. My skills are still a work in progress, but I should be able to work with most text and I am starting to get to graphics after a process of tracing imported bitmaps, jpg, etc. I will order some Red per a request from Metis, but basically have White and Black in quanity, with sample rolls of a few other colors while I teach myself the very basics of this craft.

Post subject: Re: Open House Sign
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:17 am 

Two words: Blacklight LEDs :D

Ax-Man has a bunch for reasonably cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Please remember that "Hack Factory" is two words, not one, as has appeared earlier in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

I think a nice size version of our hex logo and "Twin Cities Maker" or "Hack Factory" or both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 pm 

i concur with paul for the door, possibly our business card basic format.

another thing tossed around was doing old fashioned gold lettering with black trim, and we've got the folks with the skills to do it, or stencil it, but the business card is pretty slick.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

there are some vector formats of the logo floating around too somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:39 pm 
Global Moderator

I have tried several formats, and I will guess my skill is what is keeping it from working.

Most Graphics I have to trace to get them into the cut software, I am sure as I get better acquainted with Corel Draw or Inkscape I will learn to have the software do this at least as well as I am, and then it is just the clean up.

Wammie, I know the HF is two words, but when I lay these out I often use the URL, and am still temped to for the display sign.
In that case I capitalize H and F (thank goodness DNS can recognize the capitals)

For a door display I agree the Logo (TC Hex) would be best.

And the sample pack I have had Silver, Gold and Copper reflective or metallic vinyl in it. I burned some of that for another group, but I will see what Copper looks like.

As far as Painted signs on the door goes, I would prefer that as it is a true member creation rather than just a stencil, I was just going to put a simple sign up to start us off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Booka wrote:
Wammie, I know the HF is two words, but when I lay these out I often use the URL, and am still temped to for the display sign.
Well the URL is tcmaker.org, so I think you're meaning then that you'll use the form TCMaker.org.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

metis wrote:
i concur with paul for the door, possibly our business card basic format.

another thing tossed around was doing old fashioned gold lettering with black trim, and we've got the folks with the skills to do it, or stencil it, but the business card is pretty slick.
Like!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

OK, here's a design that will work for a door and even possibly a baseball cap. Click the thumbnail to get to the Google Doc, then from there select File > Download original to get the PDF.
Attachment:
Door Sign.png
Door Sign.png [ 49.89 KiB | Viewed 3592 times ]

Attachment:
Door Sign Black-Gold.png
Door Sign Black-Gold.png [ 49 KiB | Viewed 3592 times ]