Site Logo

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: space planning committee timing?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 pm 

jwb wrote:
Nicely put, McSteve.

Also, I'd like to suggest space for a photography area. I'm bring in some umbrella lights and a tripod, and hope to set up a small (4' x4'?) area with a white backdrop so people can shoot small objects. I need it for blogging, Adam W. said he'd need it for his business, and I imagine other people will need the setup from time to time.

I have a light and tripod stand that could be part of the mix, also a green screen was suggested at one point, and I think swinkdaddy has a small one, would it make sense to group these things here?

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:19 pm 

otto_pjm wrote:
jwb wrote:
Nicely put, McSteve.

Also, I'd like to suggest space for a photography area. I'm bring in some umbrella lights and a tripod, and hope to set up a small (4' x4'?) area with a white backdrop so people can shoot small objects. I need it for blogging, Adam W. said he'd need it for his business, and I imagine other people will need the setup from time to time.

I have a light and tripod stand that could be part of the mix, also a green screen was suggested at one point, and I think swinkdaddy has a small one, would it make sense to group these things here?

Pete

Jude has talked a bit about having a video production type space, too. I don't have the mental capacity left to figure out where that would go, right now, but it also seems related. I think we have enough photo/video folks around that it might make sense to think about either dedicating a space, or dual-purposing another space, for photo and video stuff.

I think my post count today is approaching what my total post count was yesterday. I am officially stumbling away to go take a nap.

10-7 & Out.

-Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:32 pm 
Global Moderator

I think a media space would be ideal, but the nature of a dedicated studio set is maybe a bit much for now.

Best thing to do is look at our spaces, listen to ambient noise from the group (Wednesday nights would be best) and look at the other factors light power, lighting, backdrop.

I would bet that the best space for broadcasting would be the Classroom at 8am Sunday morning, white walls for a background, and once the bigger stored items are removed we could dedicate the north east corner to a backdrop, and set. But then again, it depends on the subject etc.

Now I would also love to set up a couple of those G4 Mac's or similar Linux boxes to be video editing stations., that would need to be a smallish static space, but we still need some hardware and to actually show a need for something like that. I have been testing some open source applications for video every now and then, plus tried to stay up to date with Audacity for Audio so software is not so much an issue as hardware.

Who can write a grant request for a HD Video Camera and Storage for produced video?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:34 pm 

Guys,

In an attempt to cool the rhetoric, can I propose a set of specific next steps that hopefully we can all agree to?

1) Build a basic diagram of the space.
2) Incorporate the proposal from Metis' post as the recommendations of the space planning committee -- call this 'Alternative 1'.
3) Share this documentation via the wiki/forum with the broader membership and post a copy in the space.
4) Allow a week for members to propose additional alternatives (whether they be radically different ideas or tweaks).
5) Collect the set of alternatives, and put it to a vote of the broader membership.

I volunteer to do #1 and #2, and I'd be happy to incorporate the additional alternatives into the same diagram format for consistency if others don't have the time (within reason, I'm not going to draw 20 alternatives).

I've only been a member for a week, but my observation is that you are all bright and passionate folks with a shared goal -- building an excellent space and community. Everyone has a different style, but I know none of us would be here if we weren't interested in the group thriving.

--James

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm 

James, you nailed it. Just right.

Metis and Otto_pjm both talked about having a visual layout of the space for helping to discuss this, this fleshes it out nicely tho.

I'm really excited that we're going to have so much more space to play with. It's going to make a huge difference.

A photo and video area, whatever that looks like, will be huge.

I'd also like to thank Metis for taking the time to do a quick recap of what was talked about last night and putting it up quickly for everyone to see.

That's the kind of thing that a lot of people have been asking for, fast recaps of meetings and discussions and such.

I hope everyone remains happy with that approach, and doesn't get caught up in the fact that "quick" is sometimes "dirty" when you're talking about a quick and dirty informational blurt.

Riley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 am 

I'd second Ork, on thanking Metis for the quick recap and James for offering to run with the diagraming evolution. I noticed the space white boarded last night, I didn't look at the details, but am glad someone put it up, thanks someone. Can we start from that diagram? I hope it's representative of the discussions to date.

James, there have been discussions on space drawings for a long time, and the key take away I'd like to bring to your attention is that members interact with the space and each other in lots of ways. A suggestion, which I think is a good one, is to attempt to have updates available both electronically, here in the forums or on better yet on the Wiki, but also physically present in the space, for those who don't or can't frequent the forums and Wiki.

This is an exciting time, and how to use all the new space is a good problem to have. I'd encourage everyone to participate, and give others the benefit of the doubt if something hits you the wrong way. We are all trying to make the space the best it can be.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:50 am 

What Otto said, in spades. Nice.

Here's a thought, for short term, (which is important right now), would someone be willing to take a nice high res pic of the whiteboard and post it on the forums or blog?

It'd be nice to have a quick and dirty way for people who haven't walked past it yet to see it.

Riley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

there might be one in the slideshow, I forget, and flickr is blocked at work...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 pm 

It is in the photostream, a bit off angle, but pretty legible, how about it goes in the Wiki, and then people can make marked up copies, with their vision.....

....posted to the Wiki with the original Paul sketch, sorry had no proper tools to clean it up.

http://www.tcmaker.org/wiki/doku.php?id ... ck_factory

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I only wish to add Michael was the one that put the drawing on the white board not paul.(at the bottom it reads paul may be a typo when you added it, as paul is the first pic.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next