Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: space planning committee timing?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:54 am 

I hope anyone reading this thread understands that the above are only recommendations by a small subset of the group and that we probably ought to ignore some, most, or all of these suggestions.

I want to see the survey results, that Metis is keeping to himself, before we make any decisions about organizing the space.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 am 

Here's what I suggest:

Wood/metal shop -- keep it as-is, unless the survey suggests that it should be expanded/contracted.

Basement -- craft area

Office in woodshop -- same, the Hack Factory's administrative offices.

The Family Room -- revert back to a classroom and meeting room.

Cage -- loud/messy hacking. Sort of an ad-hoc project area. Also, the CNC area -- Pete and the other CNCers deserve more room. Maybe drape a tarp to keep the dust out.

The carpeted office -- main social area and quiet/neat hacking -- programming, soldering, maybe no power tools allowed? The two smaller rooms could have locks installed, and maybe use one as a NOC and the other to hold Adam's laser cutter?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:32 am 

Metis, that sounds like a good fit all the way around.

I also like the spot where the bowyery will be; that way, I'll never have to come out of the closet!

It also jibes with what I've heard from everyone else who has expressed an opinion to me.

This gives us a very logical layout. It also will make a big difference to have wood farther away from metal, and both somewhat separated from the classroom / family room.

I'm really glad to see us making the space better for all the people who use it, while making more and better space for those who want to "chill".

Riley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 am 

Could I suggest,

We get a sketch, not a detailed CAD floor plan, but a quick sketch together showing what was described? I think I have had enough time in the space old and new and discussions with Metis, to understand the Metis-speak presented, but I'm guessing there are members who have no idea what a lot of this means relative to the physical space.

We clearly won't all agree, and I'm sure the planning commitee is looking for input before they make their report to the board, so let's facilitate that as best we can by marking up suggested changes to the sketch. It's entirely feasible for the commitee to present plans A-? for discussion and vote at a future meeting, and I don't see any problem with that. It will take time, but that's about all. Also as we all know nothing is permanent, if something doesn't work it can be changed.

I would also strongly suggest that the planning commitee talk, and more importantly listen carefully to the different interest groups. Unless the commitee is willing and able to move, setup, and validate all equipment in it's new locations, they are very dependant on the support and good will of the various interest groups. I think we have all lived through a few "re-orgs" that made relatively little sense to many of us, and caused disruption to our "Making". Let's plan to not do that again.

Sometimes being excellent to each other means sitting on our hands and considering for a bit.

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:38 am 

Regarding the plan presented by metis; it looks reasonably good to me, with a only a couple follow-up questions. Would this mean the electronics bench gets moved back up from the basement? It never quite seemed to "fit" down there, at least to me. And does this mean that the wood-mangling power tools can get spread out a little? The 3-4' wide working space at the chop saw has always frustrated me when trying to cut up longer stock.

I have a feeling that this proposed plan should probably be put out for a vote before we start moving stuff. Yes, that could result in delays in getting stuff into the new space. No, I don't think it needs to be a formal vote at the all-members meeting, but I think we need to make some effort to demonstrate conclusively that the majority of our membership agrees with this plan. We have entirely too many points of contention right now between various segments of the membership, and the board. Too many issues where various members feel that their input is not being acknowledged. Adding another is not, in my opinion, a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 am 

Nicely put, McSteve.

Also, I'd like to suggest space for a photography area. I'm bring in some umbrella lights and a tripod, and hope to set up a small (4' x4'?) area with a white backdrop so people can shoot small objects. I need it for blogging, Adam W. said he'd need it for his business, and I imagine other people will need the setup from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:04 am 

As a photographer myself, I'd say that would be most excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I think people are misunderstanding suggestion as statement, i was there for part of the discussion last night as were i believe 8 other people. This is the list of SUGGESTIONS that came out of that discussion.

jwb wrote:
I hope anyone reading this thread understands that the above are only recommendations by a small subset of the group and that we probably ought to ignore some, most, or all of these suggestions.

This is both condescending and rude what makes your opinion any more valid than anyone else's. You disagree with the suggestions made thats fine and you made your recommendations in a second post also great but comments like this are not excellent and will not continue, everyone has been warned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 am 

Brandon, I didn't mean for my comment to be hurtful.

I feel like certain members in positions of influence in the organization make announcements that are meant to be suggestions but come across like official "this is the way it's going to be" directives, and I was reacting -- somewhat tartly -- to that. I'll be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:26 am 

I was only there for the first hour and I'm a newbie, so take this for what it's worth (not much, hah!)

I think the rubbing point is this statement: "long story short, everyone is pretty much on board with:...".

When I left at 9PM, what we had 'agreed' to was that building a layout (whether big printouts or SketchUp models) of various alternatives for the broader membership to collaborate on would be a good thing.

Metis had walked through the list of ideas which I'm sure are based on lots of conversations and thoughts. I didn't get the sense that any of it was a done deal.

Anyway, it seems like there is a lot of energy around this. Getting the information in a consumable form for people to collaborate on and then vote for seems like the highest priority to me.

--James

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next