Monthly Party

Social get-togethers, business meetings, outings and scoutings
metis

Re: Monthly Party

Postby metis » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm

we're prohibited from holding raffles by our fiscal sponsorship agreement with springboard for the arts.

i've looked into this. a LOT. it is viable in the future, for limited stuff ($1500 a year in prizes) but for now, no, we can not. as potentially great as this might be, we can't do it right now.

door prizes are fine, if everyone who shows up or asks gets a free ticket, that's cool, but including a ticket with an admission charge is bad. there can be a suggested donation, but it has to be actually that.

and no, i'm not a lawyer, but our lawyer has told me that it's potentially ok, and springboard has said no (for a variety of reasons that make sense). i've looked into it repeatedly because once every 2-3 months someone suggests it, and i ask again.

jwb

Postby jwb » Tue May 10, 2011 8:36 am

Let's have a silent auction then.
///////// John B

metis

Postby metis » Tue May 10, 2011 10:11 am

getting back on topic, what we need are folks to head stuff like a monthly party up. if we want to do it, someone needs to plan it.

we've been talking about a silent auction at our minne faire for the last 2 years, but no one has come forward to manage it, and the board has been tied up filling other needs.

i'd be very happy to go over what we need to do to run a silent auction with someone, but can't personally afford the time to coordinate it. (there's some logistical and reporting things we need to do, and how tax writeoffs go is a little counter intuitive, so we have to make sure we represent it fairly to customers and donors)

jwb

Postby jwb » Tue May 10, 2011 3:01 pm

I'd be happy to be a part of a rent party and/or silent auction subcommittee.
///////// John B

metis

Postby metis » Wed May 11, 2011 11:27 am

awesome jwb, are you willing to head that up?

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Thu May 12, 2011 7:45 pm

just a heads up, on my earlier comment regarding raffles, that page also mentions (along with multiple other sources and reasons) that we, as we are now, can NOT do raffles. I forgot to include that.

---------

JWB, awesome, thanks for stepping up to be a part of that. Make this yours to take care of?
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

Return to “Meetups”