Monthly Party

Social get-togethers, business meetings, outings and scoutings
metis

Monthly Party

Postby metis » Sat May 07, 2011 3:07 pm

it was brought up at the meeting wed that a monthly party might be a good idea. we're intending to start getting the grill going every wednesday, and this might be as simple as someone willing to be responsible for the grill, or more.

folks have talked about hosting a once a month weekend open house for the folks who can't make wednesday, or make the 3rd? wed of the month a potluck and coordinating that, or something else random. ideally this shouldn't conflict with any standing events, but could collaborate with them.

anyone interested in heading this up or brainstorming about it?

jwb

Re: Monthly Party

Postby jwb » Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 am

Rent party!

I could contribute some blogging swag for a raffle.
///////// John B

metis

Postby metis » Mon May 09, 2011 9:30 am

swag would be awesome, but it'd have to be door prizes, raffles are of very dubious legality for us.

i think the suggested intent was an ongoing monthly event, but a rent party's not a bad idea either. maybe combine them into making the 4th (or last) wed of the month into a (remember to pay your dues on time) party

jwb

Postby jwb » Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 am

That's silly, Michael. A million nonprofits have had fundraising parties. YANAL but I bet you could figure it out.
///////// John B

mcsteve

Postby mcsteve » Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 am

Raffles are entirely doable, but not until we actually have legal nonprofit status. And it would require applying for appropriate gambling licenses from the State of Minnesota, with about $300 in annual fees and a whole raft of paperwork.
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

jwb

Postby jwb » Mon May 09, 2011 10:32 am

We should be 403-whatever-c any day now, right?

If a silent auction or raffle or whatever can make us dough, let's definitely do it. Especially if these parties and events become monthly. Could be a good revenue source.
///////// John B

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Mon May 09, 2011 12:17 pm

IANAL (I always read that as I anal! lol..) but, according to : http://www.gcb.state.mn.us/AppExemptExc ... spend%2024 , if all prizes for raffles over the course of a year are less than 1500, no permit needed.

Also, silent auctions, pancake breakfast, spaghetti dinners, and door prizes are all allowed even if we're not a non profit.

We can't require a fee or donation to get in on the door prize drawing, but we should be able to have a "suggested donation" box or something.
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

jwb

Postby jwb » Mon May 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks, Riley.
///////// John B

mcsteve

Postby mcsteve » Mon May 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Good job, I didn't see that page. Lots of good info there. It looks like if we conducted a door prize drawing with a "suggested donation" for entry, we would probably run afoul of state law. A door prize drawing where tickets are issued in exchange for any financial consideration is in fact a raffle, and it is expressly illegal to solicit a suggested donation for a raffle ticket.

The other ideas you mention though, (silent auction, etc.) are totally doable with no legal restrictions, as far as I can tell.
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 pm

The big thing is are we exchanging money for a game of chance (including raffles) if yes probably want to steer clear until we have our own 501c3 and talk to state gambling board., but auctions, dinner fundraising, door prizes with no winning restriction(other than must be present) are all good options. some games of skill may be allowed but that is case by case.

Return to “Meetups”