Site Logo

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Where is everything? (or: I can has newb nao?)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 am 

Being a newb to the Factory, I'm first struck with the impression that things are a bit disorganized. After a week, I realize that it's not so much disorganization as I'm simply not looking in the right place for things most of the time.

As I haven't yet found anything like it, I'm going to make a collaborative map on the Wiki. Someone please point me to it if I've missed one that's already there.

I was thinking of a big overall map, ideally zoomable to different sections. The woodworking, metals, CNC, supplies, hand tools and storage areas should all have zoom-in pages that list what's where - probably others that I'm forgetting/neglecting as well.

Do we have an architectural drawing of the building anywhere? I use DeltaCAD and can import DXF if we've got it. Otherwise I'm bringing my 100 foot tape this weekend and doing a walkabout to get accurate dimensions.

I would also like to know who are the "caretakers" for certain areas, as I don't want to step on any toes. This info will go on the map as well, perhaps with links to forum threads about each area.

Post subject: Re: Where is everything? (or: I can has newb nao?)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Luno, great idea! Metis would know if we have some kind of map. Pyrodogg, Orion, PaulSobczak, DanBackslide, myself, and a couple others, have done administration/moderating/development in our various online areas.

I'd be happy to be a contact point for integrating anything you want to develop and add, or we could possibly discuss adding you as an administrator as well.

Thanks for the recognition of toe-steppiing. As online maintenance is a group effort, we'd generally like to get everyone of consequence informed about contemplated significant or possibly problem-inducing changes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

I started that New Member FAQ that I was talking about

http://www.tcmaker.org/wiki/doku.php?id ... member_faq

I made this up awhile ago

http://www.tcmaker.org/wiki/doku.php?id ... ck_factory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:06 pm 

I saw the hand-drawn map. I really like it, and in fact it was an inspiration for the idea of a more interactive, more detailed map.

I can't edit the Wiki yet, so my contributions there are limited. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Luno wrote:
I can't edit the Wiki yet, so my contributions there are limited. ;)

You should be able to now. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:39 am 

give me a minute or 5 and i;ll get some semblance of the organization stuff online here this afternoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:03 am 

ok almost everything on the new member wiki also exists elsewhere on the wiki. we really should have links to the primary article rather than re-writing a new one. i don't have time to sus that today, but am working on the tool labels and where tools go thing. (which should also have a primary section rather than be in teh faq)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

The New Member FAQ has been made in an effort to answer some of the most common questions of our new members.

There are plans to make a little business card with all of the codes for the space and and stuff and then a link to the member FAQ wiki with answers for members.

@metis if you can help with the effort I would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:30 pm 

Luno wrote:
Do we have an architectural drawing of the building anywhere? I use DeltaCAD and can import DXF if we've got it. Otherwise I'm bringing my 100 foot tape this weekend and doing a walkabout to get accurate dimensions.

There's a 100' tape there, I bought it last time we got excited to map the space out, but things fizzled a bit. Jude started a layout, just big boxes for some of the main features, in I think sketch-up, we could start with that, I believe he has the main features of the space with pretty accurate measurements.

We had a very nice and long range laser measuring thinging in the space at a Weds Night session, but I got distracted by other shiny objects and the space was a bit too full of people to get it measured, sigh.

I'd say get the drawing from Jude if we can find it or him and then add the other dimensions we want. I hope to be there in the morning, and would be glad to help measure or record measurements etc.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 am 

paul, shoot me an email, i'm less keen from a security standpoint on having the codes on paper, but could do some crafty obfuscation so random thief doesn't recognize the info they got, and targeted thief would have easier ways to gain access anyway.

i'd like to see the map in a real cad file that's imported into sketchup, it'll allow for a lot more precision, and ease of development. i know idris has a *good* laser tape, if we can get me, him and a 3rd body together to do this, i can wrangle it into acad which can dump into almost anything. someone else needs to coordinate this, i've too much on my plate atm, but can find the time to draft it up.