Group Project for Hackerspace Book

Area for developing group projects, such as workshop equipment
jwb

Re: Group Project for Hackerspace Book

Postby jwb » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:02 am

I say, go for it! A lot of spaces have a LED matrix that repeats relevant Twitter hash tags and so on. Swedish hackerspace Forskningsavdelningen has a matrix that you can play Pong on with a matching matrix in another space.

Michael: You too, go for it!
///////// John B

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 pm

I think Jude and I may have a project that could qualify...

We're going to try making a 10X scale breadboard, complete with usable components, for my electronics classes.

darus67

Postby darus67 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Sweeeet!

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm

uptownmaker wrote:I think Jude and I may have a project that could qualify...

We're going to try making a 10X scale breadboard, complete with usable components, for my electronics classes.

Cool so an inch square grid as opposed to .1 and then big pins and big components? I'd love to see what you guys are thinking.

Pete

boltz

Postby boltz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:48 am

Ready, willing and able to machine this on my router... I can go up to 4 ft square. Tiny components could be mounted on larger plug-in modules.

A giant-sized circuit board could be made using epoxy coated MDF overlaid with copper foil. Or maybe even aluminum foil with a thick coat of shellac to make it look like copper.

This sounds like a really fun project!

-Jim Hart

jwb

Postby jwb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 am

Love it!
///////// John B

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Jude and I talked and looked at parts for the bread board electrical connection bits yesterday. I had some ideas, as I realized that the connections are rows, which all have common bus connections. (5 pins per side of the center dip trough)

Springyness seems to be key and springy metal seems to be in short supply at the HF. I thought a strip of aluminum sheet, rounded over )( kind of like that with weather stripping or something firm but flexible behind the bottom of it might work well. (AL does conduction, weatherstripping provides spring) I happen to have both weather stripping and thin AL sheet, so I'll bring some in to play with.

One other thought, if anyone knows what the magic juicy stuff in 3M Locktite connectors ( the kind you squeeze with a pliers to lock and make air tight ) is, would that help with conduction, or is it just to prevent oxidation? It would make the parts messy, so maybe not the best approach, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Pete

metis

Postby metis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

what about a conductive side (like al sheet) and a springy side, like a piece of plastic to push it against the conductor?
water tight connectors are filled with a non conductive grease, the crimp makes a physical connection.

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm

metis wrote:what about a conductive side (like al sheet) and a springy side, like a piece of plastic to push it against the conductor?
water tight connectors are filled with a non conductive grease, the crimp makes a physical connection.

I think it would work, I'd defer to Jude (manufacture meister) on what's easiest to mass produce, and sticky enough to support the bits.

Pete

metis

Postby metis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:12 pm

speaking of wear caused by big wires (i think this was in in person conversation) prettying up the ends of the wires will reduce a lot of wear.

Return to “Group Projects”