Site Logo

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sign Board / Tetris / ? - LED lights and Arduino project
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 pm 

Hey all,

As you may know I got an Arduino for Christmas and recently found the GE Color Effects lights I've been looking for, The lights are full color rather bright LEDs, that are individually addressable. I've got the lights working under Arduino control, it's pretty cool, 1 pin to send data, no be cable rats nest to drive the LED!

So, what I'm looking for are people interested in helping me build out useful stuff. I've found Arduino code to run an LED 5x7 matrix, and believe I have correctly reduced the "font" down to 4x5 so I'd be able to get almost 2 full characters of scrolling alphanumeric signage. (My string is only 36 LEDs sadly)

[I don't know that we want or need a permanent sign, especially such a small one, but I thought it would be a cool hack to have available for Maker Faire, assuming we get organized and host one this year]

What I could use help with is:
  • building an array or two to convert the matrix code to output correctly for my address scheme
  • build a modular box or set of boxes to hold the LEDs in "sign mode"
  • I'm open to other ideas, a Tetris setup for the windows is one

If you are interested in helping out let me know, the wiki supports code syntax colorization so I think I'll put the two existing sketches there, and maybe a picture or two of the lights running.

Pete

Post subject: Re: Sign Board / Tetris / ? - LED lights and Arduino projec
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Pete, I'd be interested in helping however I can. I'm no Arduino expert yet but I'd like to get involved. I could at least document the project.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:33 pm 

Thanks Wayne,

Any help is welcome and appreciated.
I created a Wiki page to coordinate working on things.

http://www.tcmaker.org/wiki/doku.php?id ... _signboard

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:48 pm 

I've got the supplies to build a breadboard Arduino -- at least the ATMega328 chip*, clock crystal and caps. I probably have the parts for the power regulation as well. This way we don't have to lock up anyone's expensive Arduino board inside a project.

(*one thing I don't have is a way to get the Arduino bootloader onto the chip. My ancient ATMega8-based board doesn't support the ArduinoISP sketch, and my brand-new Uno with the optiboot bootloader doesn't work either. So if anyone has an older-but-not-too-old Arduino, or a USBtinyISP, could you bring it on Wednesday?)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:01 pm 

There's an STK500 programmer in the parts area, if anyone knows how to make use of it. It's in the left hand shelves along the outside wall. 2nd or 3rd shelf up from the bottom, I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 pm 

Last post, I promise, follow progress on the Wiki if you are interested.
SignBoard Wiki

I added the working code and a link to a video of a mocked up sign running, took the tops off of the lights.

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

DanBackslide wrote:
I've got the supplies to build a breadboard Arduino -- at least the ATMega328 chip*, clock crystal and caps. I probably have the parts for the power regulation as well. This way we don't have to lock up anyone's expensive Arduino board inside a project.

(*one thing I don't have is a way to get the Arduino bootloader onto the chip. My ancient ATMega8-based board doesn't support the ArduinoISP sketch, and my brand-new Uno with the optiboot bootloader doesn't work either. So if anyone has an older-but-not-too-old Arduino, or a USBtinyISP, could you bring it on Wednesday?)

I think you might have crossed this bridge but I think can use an arduino to bootload an ATMega http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP