Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Mural
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 am 

Hey everybody, my name is Cam and I am a local muralist that got permission to finish that amazing 'Hack Factory' mural from the original artist. I finally got time to work on it and over the weeks I may need some advice for the lighting. As most lights not only outsmart me but send me into confusing bouts of hysteria where I usually end up in police custody.

I want to move that actual installation up about a foot-and-a-half and install some kind of switch activated lights in the recesses between the wall. I also brought in my own paint as I could not find any of the original pastoral colors, so if you know where some is hidden then please let me know.

Oh, as part of the package deal of me being a new member, I used my rampant insomnia to drop off some more supplies late last night at 230 in the AM. But much like lights, the alarm systems are smarter than me too so I triggered the sirens and took off like some damn graffiti vandal. So if Henneppin Counties finest woke you up last night then I apologize. I'm laughing while typing this but I am actually very sorry.

Post subject: Re: The Mural
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:57 am 
Global Moderator

Unfortunately I think it would have been our landlord that was notified, and we will hear about it later. There was some new member info kit in the works, but I am not sure as to what the state of that is, but I hope that Brandon or somebody else involved can make sure you get that info.

I am fairly certain Stephan mixed his own paints from what was on hand, but since that has been almost a year, I do not expect any of it is still where it would have been left. :(

As for lighting we will look at the drops in place, and outlets.... We may just wire up a new extension cord/switch for the project and place it at a convenient space behind the mural. And I guess how you want to light it is the first question I have in mind. We could do something like white Christmas tree lights behind it so the whole edge is illuminated? OR we could try to create effects by placing lights and light blockers behind it to deal with the effect you want.
I also think we talked about a couple of spots hitting it too, which will require either building a fixture for either Up-Lights / Down-Lights or placing them in the rafters. I personally would like to have the fixture, but as of now it is your vision that drives this, we will work with that.

Brad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Awesome work so far, big thanks for putting in the effort to finish this up.

You mentioned wanting to learn how to solder, I can give you a heads up next time we are at the Hack Factory together if you would like.

-Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:35 am 
Site Admin

We actually made a leaving and/entering video last night I will upload it today.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:22 am 
Site Admin

paulsobczak wrote:
We actually made a leaving and/entering video last night I will upload it today.
Thanks Paul, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 am 

i trust that the video doesn't actually include the security codes? every member *should* have been given them, but a few (soldier obviously) have dropped through the cracks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

metis wrote:
i trust that the video doesn't actually include the security codes? every member *should* have been given them, but a few (soldier obviously) have dropped through the cracks.
What came to my mind was that walking tour type video that had been posted on our blog a while back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

http://vimeo.com/20137411

Here is the video guys.

I'll put it on the wiki when I get a chance. If some else wants to feel free, I haven't logged on to the new one and edited anything yet.

@ metis, I don't understand what you mean when you use asterisks like quotes, can you explain?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

paulsobczak wrote:
@ metis, I don't understand what you mean when you use asterisks like quotes, can you explain?
Paul, commonly this is meant to highlight something that would be spoken with verbal emphasis. For example, "I *did* let the dog out last night."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 pm 

Its similar to bold, underline or italics. In this case used for emphasis that in theory everyone has been told, but it doesn't always happen, or folks forget.

Folks should know, but may not.

Limited character and font options on mobile formats if you don't recall all the tags.

-posted via Tapatalk on my G2 running Cyanogenmod 6.1.1.
pardon the brevity and bonus typos