Site Logo

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Plasma Cutter Has Arrived, Et Al
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:02 pm 

I finally decided to cart my plasma cutting rig to the shop tonight. Thanks John for helping me unload it. There isn't much room for it in the current metal shop space. Can we remedy that?

Before we start talking about cutting, please read the new sign I put up in the metal shop area:

The plasma cutter is very dangerous and is easily damaged. I'm very concerned that people understand that it's not just something you can start cutting the world in half with one day.

What it consists of:

1. Hypertherm Powermax 30 Plasma arc cutter plus one set of consumables (in the green 40 mm ammo can)

2. A heavy duty but aging compressor to run the cutter. It's barely capable of keeping up with the cutter, which consumes a minimum 80 PSI at 4 scf/m.

3. A cart that has a .85 micron air filter attached to it needed to protect the Hypertherm from condensation and oil entering the airflow

4. A Lincoln SP 135 Plus MIG welder

5. One tank of tri-mix gas for the MIG, nearly full but not needed right now since it has flux core mild steel wire in it.

I forgot to include a lead line to go from the compressor to the filter. I'll drop by tomorrow with this.

I will set up a class to teach people how to use the plasma cutter in a few days.

Post subject: Re: Plasma Cutter Has Arrived, Et Al
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:27 am 

Thanks for bringing the stuff in! I'd love to check out the plasma cutter.

Devil's advocate: do we really need a another MIG? Aren't there two already? Do we even have enough electrons to run three simultaneously? As a non-welder I'll accept whatever you guys say. I just think we should be cognizant of unneeded duplication in big tools.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:52 am 

Keep in mind, not all the welding gear is there for public use. Unless that's changed; I know there are notes on some of the equipment.

There are some issues regarding the use and replenishment of consumables, as well as the proper care and treatment of other peoples gear, that need to be addressed at a pretty high level. Some way of making all this stuff usable while keeping everyone happy is possible and essential. If we don't come up with some good procedures and plans for this, things could get stinky.

I'm really excited to see the plasma cutter go; I want to get checked out on that bad boy.

I'm also really excited that my coworker, Brittany, might be coming by the space to check it out wednesday night; she went to school for welding, and she's into some wicked cool stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:05 pm 

jwb wrote:
Thanks for bringing the stuff in! I'd love to check out the plasma cutter.

Devil's advocate: do we really need a another MIG? Aren't there two already? Do we even have enough electrons to run three simultaneously? As a non-welder I'll accept whatever you guys say. I just think we should be cognizant of unneeded duplication in big tools.

The cart containing the MIG has the air filter for the plasma cutter mounted on it and it's where I put the plasma cutter when I'm using it. If you want to ditch the cart, we'll have to come up with some other way to mount the fairly big air filter. It's too big to put on the compressor. So just removing the MIG won't save any space per se.

There's something else to think about here, too. My MIG is set up with Tri-Mix gas. Someone else's there looks like it's set up with C02. Makes me think we should have another one set up with pure Argon gas and another one set up with an Aluminum welding head. See where I'm going with this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:34 pm 

I know we still need to get the power issues worked out too, that's a major roadblock to a good welding lab. As far as I know, we have one 15 or 20 amp circuit available in that area, which is shared with at least the office lights, and possibly other areas as well.

By the way Nick, if you do blow a circuit with your gear, you will probably find that a screw-in fuse in one of the junctions above the office has blown. There should be some spare fuses nearby. It's been known to happen, and it took a while to figure out there were fuses up there, so this should save you some trouble if it happens again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm 

mcsteve wrote:
if you do blow a circuit with your gear, you will probably find that a screw-in fuse in one of the junctions above the office has blown. There should be some spare fuses nearby. It's been known to happen, and it took a while to figure out there were fuses up there, so this should save you some trouble if it happens again.

Thanks for the tip. Just left the HF a bit ago after speaking with pete and reily. I brought my wife over to tour the space. I want to say THANK YOU PETE for straightening up the place. It looked considerably neater than yesterday night!

I have a class put together for next wednesday to teach people how to use the plasma cutter. I think I can cover all the classroom basics in 30 minutes, leaving an hour or so for everyone to execute one cut with it. I have goggles for 1 person, though. Do we have at least one other pair of #5 goggles? If not I'll buy one more and include it with my rig, but this limits the number of people who can watch people cutting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:39 pm 

nickbauman wrote:
I have a class put together for next wednesday to teach people how to use the plasma cutter. I think I can cover all the classroom basics in 30 minutes, leaving an hour or so for everyone to execute one cut with it. I have goggles for 1 person, though. Do we have at least one other pair of #5 goggles? If not I'll buy one more and include it with my rig, but this limits the number of people who can watch people cutting.

Nick,

That's great, be aware that classes on Wednesday nights are frowned upon by some as it the open house night and the classroom is "reserved" to support this. If another night will work for you, you may want to consider it.

I haven't wielded in many years, but would like to get back into it, and on the goggles front, I've been curious about this, I think I asked if it would make sense to get a few of the auto-darkening helmets from Harbor Freight, they are frequently on sale for about $40. Do those work for plasma cutting or are special goggles needed? I'm not sure what #5 goggles mean.

( I took a quick look the auto helmet is #9 to #14 and mentions plasma cutting as a use, as well as MIG and TIG )

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:01 pm 

last I saw, axman surplus had some of what looked like welding helmets with nice dark faceplates; no idea how good they are, but they looked heavy duty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:17 am 

otto_pjm wrote:
Nick,

That's great, be aware that classes on Wednesday nights are frowned upon by some as it the open house night and the classroom is "reserved" to support this. If another night will work for you, you may want to consider it.

I haven't wielded in many years, but would like to get back into it, and on the goggles front, I've been curious about this, I think I asked if it would make sense to get a few of the auto-darkening helmets from Harbor Freight, they are frequently on sale for about $40. Do those work for plasma cutting or are special goggles needed? I'm not sure what #5 goggles mean.

( I took a quick look the auto helmet is #9 to #14 and mentions plasma cutting as a use, as well as MIG and TIG )

Pete

Ooops! Thursday then.

This rig doesn't need more than a #5, which is light enough to not need auto-darkening. Auto-darkening is usually #8 and up and for the plasma arc it's so dark you can't see anything.