Site Logo

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Donations, Loaners, Tools and supplies at the HackFactory
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:06 pm 
Global Moderator

With a number of new donations and the expectation we will still continue to get more, I see a need to make sure we know what and whom donated items.
Now I suspect that we can get by with just major donations, loaners, etc, but each type of tool has it's own set of requirements.

So for now, I am taking on the task of the Wood, Metal and "Non-classroom" tools.

I will take the time to document each tool, and if possible record Serial Numbers, Owner, Status (Loan, Donation). I think I will set up a simple Database for this, but have yet to get anything more than a spreadsheet started.

What I need is two things from members.
First is to have you tell me what you have donated, if it is a loan, and Contact Information.

Second if your tool / Equipment is a Loan, mark it. Put your name, contact method (members will see this) and restrictions on or near this gear.
A good example is the Welding Gear, Dave has put a condition that you either take a Welding Class, or confirm with him that you know how to work with the gear.

Now as a Side Effect, I think we will start to mark tools with simple instructions, and maybe host a couple small informal tool nights for those who have not worked with some of this stuff.

This is just my thought, so please if you have something to add, or suggestion please do, but I am going to start with the inventory in the next few days.

Brad

Post subject: Re: Donations, Loaners, Tools and supplies at the HackFactor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:38 pm 

There has been a list started, though probably not completely up-to-date. It's currently posted on the door to the stairway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Yep, I have a copy of that, but since last looked, nobody has added to it, and more stuff showed up.

But having said that, I hope people are using that list, or putting labels on their stuff if it is a loaner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 pm 

I don't remember if I put it on the list or not, but the Shopsmith is on loan from me. One of these days I'll get down there with the manual and start going through the tuneup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 pm 
Global Moderator

The shopsmith is a creature unto itself, once you have gone through it, I will suggest you find a hour or so and we can video the change over process for folks to review.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:26 am 

I definitely would like to learn a bit about the shopsmith. That thing is a beast.

I have listed the tools I have loaned/donated on the posted list; currently just a RadioShack digital temerature-controlled soldering station (Loan) and a RadioShack logic probe (Donated). Both are on the electronics bench.

If I end up going in to work on my robot this weekend, I will make an effort to compare the posted list against reality, and make a new list of unknown tools that we need info for.

Post subject: Small CNC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 am 

I'm finishing up a small CNC mill (12x16x4) on the black cart that I'm loaning to TCM. The elderly P-III 500Mhz PC in the cart runs EMC2 version 2.3.x. If you have completed CNC training, please contact me (PM or 612-208-2550) if you wish to use it. I'm nearly finished with it; it should be up and running sometime this week.

It's not sturdy enough for metals, but should be just fine for most wood and all plastics. I don't yet know if it has the precision required to do circuit boards, but getting it there is one of my goals for the device. It uses a RotoZip as the spindle motor, with 1/4" and 1/8" collets available for the arbor. You should be able to use any Dremel bits and many small router bits (veining bits, V-groove and angle profiles) with it as well.

I first built it a couple years ago, but it ended up sitting in the basement getting neglected. I'd only dust it off long enough to make a sign, stencil or plastic panel for a project, then it would gather dust for another few months. I decided it would get better use at TCM, so please enjoy it. I've reconfigured the limit switches, spiffed up the wiring/cable management and will be adding a set of sides to the cart to make a nice-looking enclosed cabinet for it (with positive air pressure inside, to filter out dust).

Long term goals for the project (in no particular order):
* Build a new Atom-based PC, controller and relays for vac/coolant, spindle and auxiliary device into an industrial cabinet, to be mounted on the side of the rack.
* Build material storage area inside of the rack.
* Add a touch probe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Luno! I'm hoping to get trained for this sometime!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:49 pm 

Luno, be sure to tag your machine with an orange sticker from the office and put your name on it.

(for those of you who've missed it, we've started a tool tagging program that not only identifies who tools belong to, but who has permission to use them)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Luno, good to see you at Pi Day, and take another look at your machine. Very nicely constructed! We have a small group of members who have worked on converting the commercial optical scanning machine in the classroom into a multi-tool cnc. Perhaps you'd like to help in that effort. I've volunteered to help with documentation on that project.