Shopsmith mega-machine

What things would you use at the maker shop?
DanBackslide

Shopsmith mega-machine

Postby DanBackslide » Mon May 31, 2010 9:09 pm

I just bought a Shopsmith machine from a friend; it's now living at the Hack Factory. This is a combination table saw/disc sander/lathe/drill press/horizontal boring machine. Plus it has an extension table, and band saw and jointer attachments.

It's been in storage for a few years, so there's some light rust to clean up, and some bolts to replace. Plus it'll need a once-over to inventory the parts and make sure everything's in alignment. I'll be making a copy of the manual to leave on-site.

Just one request: Please don't play with the Shopsmith until it's been gone over.
73 de KC0DZY

Judeling

Re: Shopsmith mega-machine

Postby Judeling » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:34 am

Saw it, Great get.
A Shopsmith needs lots of training. Setting up the different functions can be a bit confusing. So even after it has been gone over people need to KNOW what they are doing if they change functions. Lets talk about it tomorrow.

DanBackslide

Re: Shopsmith mega-machine

Postby DanBackslide » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 pm

For sure, that's why I'm going to make a copy of the manual. I'll strap it onto the machine so it doesn't go wandering. The manual's also got a nice speed reference chart, which will also get strapped on somewhere.

Interesting side note: there's an entire woodworking self-study kit included in the docs!
73 de KC0DZY

Return to “Uses/Equipment”