Hacking a Ruckus wireless modem?

Links and information on projects by local makers
groomporter

Hacking a Ruckus wireless modem?

Postby groomporter » Sat May 08, 2010 8:59 am

Needed faster internet access so I just canceled the account we had through the Mpls City-wide wireless internet. But now I have a $79 Ruckus wireless modem sitting idle, and before I offer it on Craigslist or something I thought I would ask how hard it might be to hack it? Can it be switched maybe to use with any unsecured WIFI source?

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Re: Hacking a Ruckus wireless modem?

Postby paulsobczak » Tue May 11, 2010 7:59 pm

not really sure what you are getting at here can you be more specific because it sounds like you don't need to "hack" it at all.

groomporter

Postby groomporter » Tue May 11, 2010 10:06 pm

To clarify, I replaced our Mpls wireless account with faster DSL, so I now have an Ruckus wireless modem that is not being used. It has a omnidirectional antenna with a longer range than my Mac, so I was wondering if it can be hacked to use as a "generic" WIFI antenna to access WIFI hotspots from a farther distance than the internal antenna in my iBook.

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Unless they hardcode the info, it should be nothing more than reset it, and set a new password....

Now I have not seen that brand / model, make, but google should tell you what you have, you may have to crack the case to see what chipset it uses, and what manufacturer it is.

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Fri May 14, 2010 10:26 am

What you are need to search is a "wifi repeater"

groomporter

Postby groomporter » Fri May 14, 2010 1:38 pm

The USIWireless node antenna that is closest to my house is almost 2 short blocks away so I know the modem has at least that long a range, so I figured if it is hackable it could take the place of a WIFI repeater.

Return to “Local Maker Projects”