Site Logo

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Intro to Electronics Class
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:50 pm 

Posted on the blog, but I'm cross-posting here.

http://www.tcmaker.org/blog/2010/03/int ... ics-class/

Also, if anyone wants one of the electronics kits I'm putting together for the class, you're welcome to buy in. I intend to buy enough material to make 20 kits, but I'm only offering room for 8 students. I'll keep any extra kits in reserve, but I'd like to move a couple of them so my personal investment in inventory costs is a bit lower. For the complete class kit, including some tools (meter and wire stripper) and a case and everything all nicely organized, $40 is the cost. If you only want the parts, it'll be more like $25, and if you want a subset of the parts, it'll be even less.

It's worth mentioning that because I'm ordering at least 20 kits, which means 100 or more of many of the parts in the kit, there are some pretty massive price breaks involved- in single quantity, the parts in this kit would be probably twice this much. In particular, you'll never get a resistor assortment like this at this price anywhere else- 315 resistors of 27 different values (10 of most, 25 of 100/1k/10k) for less than $4.

Post subject: Re: Intro to Electronics Class
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 am 

Why does the class registration page say $60 for the class + parts? Did I read your post incorrectly?

-The DTs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:18 pm 

idris_arslanian wrote:
Why does the class registration page say $60 for the class + parts? Did I read your post incorrectly?

I'm confused by your confusion- the class + parts is $60. The class, alone, is $20; parts kit for it is $40.

If you just want the parts, and not the case, meter, wire stripper, etc, and don't mind maybe doing a little sorting yourself, it would be more like $25. If you want just some small subset (say, you want the chance to get some 10k resistors at 1.2c a piece), I'm willing to at-cost those, as well.

So, really, what I told you before was contradictory to this and I'm full of crap. Talk to me at the meeting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 pm 

put me down for 5 of the resistor "kits"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:26 am 

Put me down for $8 in parts, you choose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:32 pm 

Unfortunately, the family budget just got a kick in the teeth from the tax man. I would like to grab a parts only bundle, if possible, but will not be able to do the class. I might have to put a hold on membership for the summer as well.

le sigh.

-The DTs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:31 pm 

I think my two students really enjoyed the class.

I keep meaning to blog-post this fact but other people beat me to the blog every day and I want to let other items be top slot for at least 24 hours before bumping them, but I've decided to make third Saturdays Electronics Day. I'll do at least one class (maybe two), along with a Q&A, and of course anyone else is welcome to teach a class, give a presentation, what have you.

Nothing incumbent on anyone else, of course, but if I make it a regular event, it'll be more well attended.

Oh, and everyone who ordered something, I'll be at the meeting tonight with your stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

uptownmaker wrote:
I think my two students really enjoyed the class.

I keep meaning to blog-post this fact but other people beat me to the blog every day and I want to let other items be top slot for at least 24 hours before bumping them, but I've decided to make third Saturdays Electronics Day. I'll do at least one class (maybe two), along with a Q&A, and of course anyone else is welcome to teach a class, give a presentation, what have you.

Nothing incumbent on anyone else, of course, but if I make it a regular event, it'll be more well attended.

Oh, and everyone who ordered something, I'll be at the meeting tonight with your stuff.
Thanks Mike! So, if members wanted to actually work on electronics a third Saturday, but not take the class, they could do that, right? If you have any info on how much I owe you for my electronics stuff, please send a PM or email.