Site Logo

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sega-genesis game
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 pm 

Anyone want to make a sega-genesis game with me? I'll do the programming and like two other people would be awesome

Post subject: Re: Sega-genesis game
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

please explain how do you make a sega game?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:51 pm 

With some art tools, gcc cross-tools, a few emulators and an eprom programmer. I explain it more in depth here: video.avi

I was thinking about coming up with a concept first and then some conceptual art. Make a programmer-cart or find an eprom programmer or romulator. Draw some pixel-art and make any level-editors that would be necessary and make the levels. Then putting together some music and putting everything together. Polishing-- lots of polishing. Testing and of course all the while testing. and then eventually making a manual and box-art. Then selling it/making it freely available for download. I think it would probably take a year to make something really good

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:24 pm 

I have a genesis... somewhere... I could test

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:27 pm 

Quote:
I have a genesis... somewhere... I could test

sweet! Anyone have an eprom-programmer? or some old mother-boards with cache as sram chips so we can make a romulator?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 pm 

something like this? I have a couple atmel 644p's laying around...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:45 pm 

Quote:
something like this? I have a couple atmel 644p's laying around...

yep something like that. We'd need two of "ic7," it is a 16-bit databus. If we replace it with sram and battery-back it we don't have to go through erase-reprogram iterations every time we want to change something.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:38 am 

I am utterly fascinated by this concept.

I very much would like to discuss this sometime at a meeting.

I have to ask, though, if you use an EEPROM, what's so off about erase/reprog that makes it worth the hassle of dealing with an SRAM/battery combo? I suppose the SRAM would be marginally faster for development, but it's not cheap...

I may have some SRAM lying around somewhere. I KNOW my company makes some SRAM-based products that have HUGE banks of the stuff, and I have a handful of those boards lying about at my desk that I could scavenge (they are dead and awaiting disposal or "something better"), if we can work with SMT stuff (I THINK the SMT chips on those may actually be .1" spaced which makes it pretty trivial)(even .05" spacing isn't bad).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 pm 

Hey. Well if it's eeprom I suppose there would be too much of a difference. I've had more experience programming sram then I do with eeprom. Most flash-roms for instance program by the sector and have different write sequences for commands. It get's a bit tricky and sram is really easy. The max bus-width of a sega-cartridge is 4M so 4Mwords is the largest sized cartridge, which is nice for developing and debugging with.
Well I'm coming to the meeting on wednesday. I might be 20 minutes late (7:20) but we can discuss this there. If anyone else is interested come to me and we can get working. If all you have is smt stuff hopefully we can get an adapter- I actually think I have some 4mword sram chips here myself-- I'll search around for them. We don't need a romulator to get started- there's a lot of stuff we can do before we start hitting the hardware.

I don't know if you've seen me but I'll try and wear my tie and vest again- seems that's my hack-factory uniform. Hopefully you'll recognize me by that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:46 pm 

Meeting in review:

So it was asked on wednesday if there's a tracker for the sega-genesis. Yes! TFM music maker should do, unfortunately it's for windows. Any fm tracker that supports the ym2612 synth is good.

An interesting idea for a game was put forth on wednesday. Basically you are this character that navigates a world by shrinking and growing. Every time you shirk or grow everything around you is of a new perspective. Part of the goal is to take things that are really small or big with you and shrink them or grow them to their correct size and bring them to what world-size they belong.

Sorry, I didn't see you jtbarclay- hopefully you can make it next wednesday.

This thread is now the official development "mailing list"!