Call for Interest: Handmade Music/Noise Night

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
metis

Re: Call for Interest: Handmade Music/Noise Night

Postby metis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 am

runagate wrote:
No... I'm not absolutely sure I understand what you're describing. I'm not sorting audio for the sake of tagging it but as the first step describing all of it's perceptual qualities as they change over time to create a template that can be extrapolated to any other part of that multi-parameter matrix, for instance if there's no "D" note sampled, but there's 10 layers of velocity and three playing styles then the appropriate pitch, spectral, and other decays can be modeled and re-sythesize a new version for each step of the matrix: so when you play "D" each envelope matches analyzed curve for every velocity (how hard the note is struck or played or whatever), and for every velocity of every detected playing style, and on and on. It represents, usually, thousands of nuanced decays as you call them...

Which is interesting on it's own, but more importantly all this data can be abstracted as automation (which at the moment we'd use MIDI for, but which is obviously woefully inadequate). Um, ok I can't think of a way to put this in civilian terms, but maybe I'll be standing around to explain it sometime.

I don't drive (in fact don't know how) but I'm sure I'll figure out where the factory is and bus over sometime, I'm still hopinh this Thursday. I'd love to collaborate with hardware people somtime.

i'd look at actually extracting the waves with and processing data points on the file rather than the gross midi. i know there's some freeware fft programs that would help. then you're going to want to look at what the wave is doing in a variety of parameters, envelope, pitch, harmonics, etc. some of the earlier tracker software was doing some pretty good pitch bending without altering duration, if you can dig up some of their algorithms you may start with an axle instead of a boulder for this wheel.

what part of town do you live in? there's a chance someone might be willing to slow down enough for you to dive in the back window on their way to the factory

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:07 pm

At tonight's general meeting I was able to test my midi files on a laptop and the Hack Factory sound system. All is working fine. I got a little more done on my SN76477 circuit too, but haven't completed the circuit yet for a first test.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:02 pm

If anybody coming tonight has some spare 103 caps (.01 uF) laying around, bring them, I'm kind short for the throwies (totally not prepared). I'm going to hit Radio Shack, but not really interested in paying $1 a pop for ceramic caps, so...
Make it happen.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:14 pm

noise wrote:If anybody coming tonight has some spare 103 caps (.01 uF) laying around, bring them, I'm kind short for the throwies (totally not prepared). I'm going to hit Radio Shack, but not really interested in paying $1 a pop for ceramic caps, so...
Yah, I need some .1 uF and 10 uF too. Still hoping someone brings a capacitance meter for the grab bag caps I'll bring.

heuermh

Postby heuermh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:46 pm

I'll be there tonight, but late. Probably 9:00 pm or so.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Tonight's Handmade Music/Noise Night was a lot of fun!

I didn't count, but probably close to twenty people showed up during the event and we saw maybe six or so new faces!

I don't have time at the moment to report on all the activity during the event, but I'll share that I achieved everything I set out to do.

I did some demonstrations of midi playback using different soundfonts and digital signal processing to emulate sound environments. I completed my test circuit for one of my SN76477 complex sound synthesizer chips and found that it produced the expected sound. This was not a test of all of the chip's functions, but the fact that it produced expected sound in one configuration at least is a very good sign. I then substituted my two other chips in the circuit and found that they too produced the expected sound. So I apparently have three working chips! YAY!

What's next for these chips, you might ask? I have no idea. If anyone has some suggestions, let me know!

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks everyone, it was great!

Hopefully nobody was turned off by how disorganized things where, but we really didn't know what to expect as far as who would show up and where peoples interests would lie. We'll have a more structure next month and hopefully a performance (although great fun was had tonight "jamming" with the various instruments present).

I'm going to start planning immediately for next month. A recording was made of the ambient sounds of Handmade Music, once I get some samples I will put up a blog post.

There was some interest in perhaps doing classes in Chuck, Supercollider and MIDI which would be very cool.
Make it happen.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:03 pm

I have a sound sample now of the SN76477 chip in the siren/space war/phasor gun configuration:
http://mntechnoguy.home.comcast.net/SN76477-siren.mp3

The pitch of the siren changes as I switch the resistor value on pin 18.

At handmade music night I also presented some carousel/band organ music simulations. Here are two samples of that stuff:

http://mntechnoguy.home.comcast.net/Blaze-Away.mp3
http://mntechnoguy.home.comcast.net/Band_Organ_1.mp3

For the sound synthesizer chip I was thinking I'd build some digital controls to switch the resistor and capacitor values. Some of the values could also be varied with photocells or capacitance antennae. Then I could drive the digital switches with a microcontroller.

rbwilliams

Postby rbwilliams » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 am

I had a lot of fun too!

thanks for all the recordings and editing- you took out the parts where I sound like a D.A.!

On another note, I'd like to try to do a short performance for next time.

Thanks,
Roger

Captain

Postby Captain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey sorry I missed out. Sounded like fun. I'll have to try to make the next one. I'm just getting into this stuff and wired up one of the light sensitive theremins. Lots of fun.

Here's what it ended up looking like.

~Captain

Return to “General Discussion”