</cough>

wammie
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a replacement hard drive

Postby wammie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 pm

jtbarclay wrote:<cough>
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=630
</cough>
JTB, I was aware of that post. Isn't that a laptop drive though? I'm looking for a desktop drive.

jtbarclay

Postby jtbarclay » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:04 am

:( oh well, will you be needing a copy of windows 7 home edition to load on it? or how about 3?

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:56 am

jtbarclay wrote::( oh well, will you be needing a copy of Windows 7 home edition to load on it? or how about 3?
Naw, this is for a friend with an older HP desktop machine, probably with only 512 MB of memory, using Windows XP. The drive has the HP recovery partition. My friend isn't that computer smart and won't even have Internet access. I could go about formatting and rebuilding everything but all the bells and whistles won't even matter, as the computer will be used mostly just for creative writing. Once I get started rebuilding and optimizing someone's computer I usually wind up spending 16 or more hours on it, but in this case I doubt all that effort would be put to good use; this time I think I'll be happy with a good copy and system/security updating.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:16 am

if all its going to be used for is writeing use ubuntu and kick M$ to the curb. im seeing if i can save one out of the new batch of dead computers.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:09 am

orion wrote:if all its going to be used for is writeing use ubuntu and kick M$ to the curb. im seeing if i can save one out of the new batch of dead computers.
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, my friend had contacted PCs for People in St. Paul, who provide computers to low income recipients. Yesterday I helped to pick one out. We got a new computer for $50, including a nice Viewsonic monitor, keyboard, and Microsoft laser scroll mouse, loaded with Windows XP Professional. I found what I believe was the best of the batch they had available, and the best monitor. Everything about this computer is sufficient for my friend. But obviously, given that these computers are assembled from secondhand parts, something is going to fall short of ideal. In this case again it's the hard drive. This computer has a 20 GB Maxtor hard drive from around the year 2000. It works, but is a bit noisy and not especially speedy. Also the computer does not have a dial-up modem. I'd like to install a 56kb modem in case my friend can eventually afford dial-up Internet service. I'm not sure I have an old one, so if anyone has a V.90 modem (NOT soft modem) they can spare, please let me know.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:59 am

I'm still looking for a V.90 PCI internal modem card. If anyone can part with one, let me know.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:35 am

ill try and bring one wed.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 pm

orion wrote:ill try and bring one wed.
Thanks!

Return to “Local Classifieds”