Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: 6u modular synth in an antique case - plus, halp?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:24 am 
Global Moderator

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
noise wrote:
This sounds like a cool project, are you going to haul your synth over to Handmade Music to show it off?

I hadn't thought about it, since it's not really going to do much initially. As of now, the only modules I have are a WMD Geiger Counter, a f(h) Sound of Shadows two utility Doepfer modules (A-119 and A-190-2).

Maybe after I add a few more modules (this stuff is like crack, by the way). At the moment it's kind of a two-trick pony, but it'll have plenty of space to expand. :)

We could turn the knobs and make pretend synth noises...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 am 

noise wrote:
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
noise wrote:
This sounds like a cool project, are you going to haul your synth over to Handmade Music to show it off?

I hadn't thought about it, since it's not really going to do much initially. As of now, the only modules I have are a WMD Geiger Counter, a f(h) Sound of Shadows two utility Doepfer modules (A-119 and A-190-2).

Maybe after I add a few more modules (this stuff is like crack, by the way). At the moment it's kind of a two-trick pony, but it'll have plenty of space to expand. :)

We could turn the knobs and make pretend synth noises...

weeeooooOOOooooOOOOOoo...

Typically I'm a hermit, so I'll consider taking it to one of the meet-ups. I'm bummed I missed the one on Feb. 13th. My work schedule was already posted before I saw the damn flyer.

Anyhow, I'm going to try Siwek's this afternoon, at Metris' recommendation. When I read 'We Specialize In... SURPLUS and SECOND-GRADE MATERIALS', I got a wee bit excited. With any luck I'll find some great wood, cut it tonight and probably paint it (if I go that route, I'm considering using some fabric I had to tear out of the suitcase to cover the wood - which might look amazing) and get it ALIVE before the week is out.

Addendum: just got back from Siwek's. Wonderful place, excellent people. Got some wood options to choose from and had a blast sorting through the surplus.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm 

they often have very affordable pianos.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:53 pm 

metis wrote:
they often have very affordable pianos.

Yeah. I got a kick out of the one for $25 that's covered in various forms of dust. Played on it a bit during my time there.

Anyhow, the goddamn suitcase thing is -done-.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/signal_flo ... 463653036/

I don't really know what kind of wood I settled on. Space became an issue pretty quickly and I was urged to check out the molding remnants in the Millwork Building at Siwek. Found a piece stronger than hell and only 3/8" thick. BAM.

Put it together over the last two days. I can't believe it's done - whew. Thanks for the tip on Siwek, again. Wonderful place.