Shop Mural cutout

Area for developing group projects, such as workshop equipment
swinkdaddy

Shop Mural cutout

Postby swinkdaddy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Here is the finished artwork for the mural cutout for the hack factory. This will use 4 sheets of plywood to cover 8'x16' of area. The plan is to project the image this Wen (jan 27th) and then start cutting away the negative space with a jig saw. I purchased 4 sheets of 1/2" sanded plywood and some backing 2x4s, so we will be ready to rock Wen. Mike H said he should be able to get a projector to trace up the image. Note: actual blues - tints will be based on what paint colors we can mix up from freebies.
Attachments
muralFinished.jpg
Finished mural art
muralFinished.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Have kilt, will travel...

Theo

Re: Shop Mural cutout

Postby Theo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:25 pm

That's pretty damn awesome. :D :mrgreen: :ugeek:

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Very nice.
Make it happen.

jtbarclay

Postby jtbarclay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 am

Any chance someone could set up a camera for a time-lapse video of the entire process?

metis

Postby metis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:06 pm

jtb graet idea. anyone have a digicam they want to leave on a tripod in teh space?

actually a few digicams of crappy resolution (even 1MP) that can be set on a timer and turned on or off and "locked down" in a spot, woudl be fun for other projects as well. clip on a camera to teh workbench yoou're on and turn it on, every 5 min it snaps a pic....

anyone have a bucket of white christmas lights or a lead on getting some locally? LED preferable for fire safety.

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:48 pm

metis wrote:jtb graet idea. anyone have a digicam they want to leave on a tripod in teh space?

actually a few digicams of crappy resolution (even 1MP) that can be set on a timer and turned on or off and "locked down" in a spot, woudl be fun for other projects as well. clip on a camera to teh workbench yoou're on and turn it on, every 5 min it snaps a pic....

anyone have a bucket of white christmas lights or a lead on getting some locally? LED preferable for fire safety.

Do I even have to say it?

Yes, I have a few white LED Christmas light strings (somewhere between 2 and 5- too long since I even saw them). And, I also have a REALLY cheap REALLY cheesy digital camera (four, actually) that I was planning on hacking. What I don't have is time...

metis

Postby metis » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:34 am

well i've got a living thyme and rosemary, and dried sage....

we counted up and we're gonna need in the neighborhood of 1000 actual leds. (on a holiday light strands) to light the thing reasonably decently. ideally all from the same mfg so they're reasonably close to the same color temperature....

in an ideal world i know exactly the product to use, but it's ~$100 per linear foot, so barring a massive grant, we're winging it. (for those of you who don't know, i used to work in architectural lighting design)

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 am

So far the cheapest 100 light LED strand I could find was 19.00 (from reputable site) off the interwebs. But thats 200 bucks for all that is needed.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:45 am

What was the actual length measured, it certainly wasn't anywhere near 10 strings worth, more like 2 to 3. Let's think low end for now and just see how it goes.

Here's an idea, let's use what Mike offered and see where it gets us.
Make it happen.

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Ah, the the measured length was much less(~85'), but we want 1-2 inches between lights to give the best seamless light coverage. the 1000 lights are ~100 ft x 1 light per inch. a suitable alternative is 1.5 lights per inch (750 lights) or 1 per 2 inches (500 lights). based on cost, I am leaning towards 500 LEDs just because I am already $70 into the wood.

Return to “Group Projects”