Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Windows and micro-controllers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:44 am 
Site Admin

I want to use some switches and or different interfaces to control a specific program in windows is this possible?

The project is to use windows to launch an audio program, and use an external controller (micro-controller) to manipulate the the said audio program.

I think what I need is a third party program that can interpret serial data and use it to control a "closed" windows program. I say "closed" because I have no direct access to the source code.

I would like to do the following:
1. Turn on device (boot windows)
2. Automatically launch program
3. Use serial communication triggers to operate it.

....Update looks like I found it... Winautomation. The triggers section looks interesting and hopefully fruit full.

Post subject: Re: Windows and micro-controllers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 am 
Site Admin

looking at win automation there is not much you can do with triggers from input. Anybody have other suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 am 
Global Moderator

I wonder if you could essentially replace the keyboard with a µC and send keyboard data to control the PC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:20 am 
Site Admin

yea that is an option, it's just limited in scope as to what type of data can be sent. I was investigating that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:35 am 
Global Moderator

It would be really cool if you could send both keyboard and mouse data, no idea how that would be accomplished though.

Here is an arduino page for emulating a ps/2 keyboard.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/ComponentLib/Ps2mouse

Another interesting thread:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 13375969/5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:34 am 

Quick and dirty hack:

Getting a USB PIC to emulate a keyboard is easy-peasy- MicroChip have a project up on their website that does just that, using minimal parts, and it's in assembler, so it's easy to build and program onto a micro. Changing the output from it is not too tough either- I've played with it some, and changing it to output a character or string of characters on a button press is very easy.

Next, throw in AutoHotKey. This is an INSANELY powerful macroing program. It can launch multiple applications and track and send commands to each individual one without bringing them to the foreground. It can do some basic machine vision on the monitor- I used it at one point to trigger a logic analyzer when an image coming out of a camera changed. It's REALLY amazing.

Assign some weirdo keystroke (say, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F1) to the action you want to take on the PC through AutoHotKey, then set up the micro to do it. It becomes even easier if the application can run in the foreground- AutoHotKey is very capable of x,y coordinate mouse clicks and menu navigation, so even if the app doesn't have a keystroke shortcut (or series of keystrokes) for what you want to do, you can still work it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

May I ask what audio program you're working with? Are you talking about a media player (winamp, wmp, foobar) or some audio recording application?

Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:56 pm 

you want to look at midi. this is more or less exactly what the interface was originally intended to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

I want turn a MS-20 midi controller into a closer realization of the real thing. I purchased one about a year ago and never use it because it needs to be plugged in to a computer and running windows, there was a mac version but it wasn't Universal Binary that may have changed....

but anyways I would like to control the synth without having to interface with a computer and I was looking into smaller footprint computers and thinking about stuffing one inside the controller and using a uC to control what is going on.

Midi won't work because not all of the values are assignable to midi values. Win Automation will work with hot keys, and I agree with Uptown the keyboard hack with a uC is easy. Hot Key after taking a quick look at it appears to be more capable of customization.

Oh and as an added bonus the MS-20 get 32 voice polyphony instead being monophonic like the original.

I can post a video of what's going on to give you an idea visually.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:55 pm 

i'm lost, you want to trigger a midi controller with hardware triggers, and want to add in a computer?