Any welders here? Custom bike

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
Obi-Bob

Any welders here? Custom bike

Postby Obi-Bob » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:10 pm

A friend of mine is building a custom recumbent bike. He's got all the steel pipe cut, now he needs to get it welded together. Anyone here able to weld this up?

DanBackslide

Re: Any welders here? Custom bike

Postby DanBackslide » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 am

Better yet -- anyone here who could teach a welding class or two? It's on my list of Things I Want To Learn...
73 de KC0DZY

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Studio Bricolage had a welding class a while ago, I would love to take one too.

I could be wrong, but isn't frame welding a somewhat advanced topic?

You could always take it to Bob Brown to see if he would do it, but it probably wouldn't be cheap.

http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/
Make it happen.

Obi-Bob

Postby Obi-Bob » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Not sure how advanced a job it would be. Doesn't seem like it'd be real tough, but I haven't touched a torch or welding rods in a loooooong time. And that was just for a portion of sculpture class, it wasn't the main subject, so I wouldn't have considered myself an expert by a long shot, even when I sorta knew what to do.

Thanks for the link!

My friend doesn't have a welder, and doesn't want to invest in one, and I don't think he has the time to learn how to become a competent welder, so he'd just as soon farm it out.

And now I'm remembering that group I met at the Powderhorn Art Festival.... They met those of you who were at the Make Day at the Science Museum. I don't remember their name now.... I've got their card... somewhere. I think one of their people is an instructor at MCAD, and she specializes in welding. They're planning on having welding and metal work classes, but I don't think (using the term loosely) until sometime early next year. They're based on south Chicago and 30 or 40 something. Wonder where I put that card.

jtbarclay

Postby jtbarclay » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Obi-Bob wrote:Not sure how advanced a job it would be. Doesn't seem like it'd be real tough, but I haven't touched a torch or welding rods in a loooooong time. And that was just for a portion of sculpture class, it wasn't the main subject, so I wouldn't have considered myself an expert by a long shot, even when I sorta knew what to do.

Thanks for the link!

My friend doesn't have a welder, and doesn't want to invest in one, and I don't think he has the time to learn how to become a competent welder, so he'd just as soon farm it out.

And now I'm remembering that group I met at the Powderhorn Art Festival.... They met those of you who were at the Make Day at the Science Museum. I don't remember their name now.... I've got their card... somewhere. I think one of their people is an instructor at MCAD, and she specializes in welding. They're planning on having welding and metal work classes, but I don't think (using the term loosely) until sometime early next year. They're based on south Chicago and 30 or 40 something. Wonder where I put that card.

chicago fire arts?

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:30 am

I could help, welding is the quick part, its the grinding and fitting for a good weld that is the time killer. I am also working on a custom bicycle, a stretched frame chopper.
Have kilt, will travel...

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 pm

swinkdaddy wrote:I could help, welding is the quick part, its the grinding and fitting for a good weld that is the time killer. I am also working on a custom bicycle, a stretched frame chopper.

Hmmm...sounds like a blog post... :D
Make it happen.

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:14 pm

noise wrote:
swinkdaddy wrote:I could help, welding is the quick part, its the grinding and fitting for a good weld that is the time killer. I am also working on a custom bicycle, a stretched frame chopper.

Hmmm...sounds like a blog post... :D

Not a bad Idea...

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:05 am

I too would like to get to a welding demonstration / class. I had intended to buy a gas setup (20+ years since I touched one) when I was working, but the $500+ for a rig is a bit out of the price range now.

I also thought I may look into Mig and Tig setups, which is why I would like to get to a class.

As far as the bike goes, one of my friends neighbors does this in Crystal, and I see a few of the bikes out here. Maybe that is something we could talk a couple folks into giving discussions about.

Even better yet, get the video camera out and create a YouTube / whichever video with the "Twin Cities Maker" name on it.

I do not know what shape my camera is in, but I would be willing to try with this or other items if we think it is a good idea. I should have the sound / video editing stuff to do most of it, but have never tried.

Booka

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 am

http://www.minnetonkaarts.org/classes_sculpture.html

Minnetonka Center for the Arts has a pretty well equipped welding (gas, arc & mig) facility. That's where I learned to weld. It seems like they have changed the structure of the class since the last time I was there. Their focus of course is art/sculpture related. But the hands on training helped me. Cost is 180 - 240 for an 8 week course depending on class.

Now that its turning colder, its time to start welding again. With all the safety gear on you melt in the summer :)

Return to “General Discussion”