Supplies near Plymouth

Questions and answers not about the bulletin board
chipkent

Re: Supplies near Plymouth

Postby chipkent » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:16 pm

I made it over to the St. Louis Park Ax-Man this weekend. I was in geeked out overload. Tons of great stuff.

I'm converting my milling machine to CNC. I was able to pick up a nice enclosure for the controller, wiring, and switches for about 10% of what it would have cost me at a store for normal people.

medios

Postby medios » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 am

So not really near plymouth, but I heard about this place which has all things chemistry and a lot of biology:

BME Labstore in Little Canada
http://www.labandscience.com/home.php

escherblacksmith

Postby escherblacksmith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:43 am

ABC electronics (the walk-in store for Industrial Surplus Inc.) in downtown Minneapolis, MN. They have all kinds of stuff.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Another valuable store is at 55 and highway 100- AEI Electronics and Parts.

They sell pretty high-quality stuff- soldering irons, tools, protoboards, and some actual components at excessive prices (I bought some 2N2222 transistors there for about $.40 a piece- probably would've been a quarter of that at Digikey).

That reminds me, Digikey is located in Thief River Falls, so basically anything you buy from them, shipped ground, will be here the next day. That's a REALLY nice thing to have.

Nicholas Lee

Postby Nicholas Lee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:04 pm

ambles machine, in the seward neighborhood.
its on the weird end of cedar ave (by the cedar box company).
sure, they sell stock steel, aluminum, diamondplate, etc..
but they also sell trophy heads, random and refurbished milling bits, remnants of lift cranes, all sorts of random widgets.
not as crazy (or popular) as the ax-mans, but worth a look.
oh, and they have a gigantic brake press that is just fun to watch too.
they do simple sheetform work if you are so inclined.

partstock computers (http://www.partstockpc.com/) SOMETIMES has some good deals.

everywhere else i know, people have mentioned.

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Amateur & Antique Radio Consignment Center
632 N Prior Ave, St Paul

It's the little white house-looking building sitting between all the warehouses; the door is around on the side. Inside is a small space stuffed to the rafters with various bits of antique and not-so-antique electronic goods. Transmitters, receivers, antennas, speakers, oscilloscopes, signal generators, frequency counters, variacs, bench meters, big meters, small meters, knobs, switches, hand mics, vacuum tubes, unidentifiable shiny objects -- heaven. A near-legendary place for the local ham radio crowd.

It's only open a few hours a week: 4-8PM Tuesday and Thursday, 8AM-12PM Saturday. Prices are totally reasonable, and the owner is friendly and full of knowledge.
73 de KC0DZY

hootenanny

Postby hootenanny » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:23 pm

The U of M also has a reuse center that they try to send all of their old but serviceable odds 'n' ends to. I haven't poked around there much (although I used to deliver stuff there). I know that it's mostly furniture but they do have things like old bikes, clocks, typewriters, and god knows what else. They're located just south of the intersection of 29th and Como, just a few blocks west of Como and 280.

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 pm

hootenanny wrote:The U of M also has a reuse center that they try to send all of their old but serviceable odds 'n' ends to. I haven't poked around there much (although I used to deliver stuff there). I know that it's mostly furniture but they do have things like old bikes, clocks, typewriters, and god knows what else. They're located just south of the intersection of 29th and Como, just a few blocks west of Como and 280.

The U of M's surplus site was a profound disappointment to me after visiting the one at Iowa State University.

The ISU shop is open rarely- Wednesday 12-3pm. But it's worth it, if you manage to get there.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~centrals/isusurplus.htm

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:03 pm

This is turning into a good list, it should make it onto the wiki once it gets stabilized.
Make it happen.

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm

I've got quite a savvy system for cataloging sources on the wiki once some kinks get worked out.

Return to “Other Q and A”