Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: So...what are you working on?
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:35 pm 

Quote:
Anyone know a good, cheap place to rent a construction dumpster?

We just used Red Arrow Rubbish Removal for our fence removal in south Minneapolis and it pretty reasonably priced. They were able to deliver next day, on time, and managed to get the dumpster in the driveway off the alley without hitting anything, which was no easy feat.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

wammie wrote:
I'm not going to mull this over much more. I'll probably order the parts list above tonight unless someone comes up with a good suggestion for alteration.

This configuration should serve me for 3-4 years, barring bloatware explosions in coming months.

Thanks Theo and Darus67 for your feedback!

Well... crud. I missed the case in the parts list this time. As this would up the price even more, I'm looking at an AMD parts list now too...

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

wammie wrote:
Well... crud. I missed the case in the parts list this time. As this would up the price even more, I'm looking at an AMD parts list now too...

Here's my (final?) parts list. I dropped the hard drive/imaging software combo in favor of a hard drive/Vista combo. I can find a freeware alternative for drive imaging.

Others on Newegg have ordered the heat sink here with this CPU. I imagine it fits, though the part doesn't name an AM3 CPU specifically as compatible.

The only thing I can think of to improve this would be to get a solid state hard drive large enough for the OS, a smaller hard drive for programs/data, and use the 1T drive for personal files on a file server made from my current machine. But that would be more $$$. Anyone have comments?

Attachments:
Newegg AMD Order Rev. 3.jpg
Newegg AMD Order Rev. 3.jpg [ 138.7 KiB | Viewed 874 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 pm 

That CPU cooler is HUUUGE, especially tall, but it looks like it could work in that case, which looks spacious. Just make sure it'd physically fit on the mainboard, in the case, alongside the video card, clear of onboard components, hard drives, CD/DVD, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Theo wrote:
That CPU cooler is HUUUGE, especially tall, but it looks like it could work in that case, which looks spacious. Just make sure it'd physically fit on the mainboard, in the case, alongside the video card, clear of onboard components, hard drives, CD/DVD, etc.

Yah, reviews state that it IS a behemoth, and a $10 mounting bracket is recommended. Need to research for a more ideal cooler for the motherboard.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:59 pm 

I use one of these on an overclocked AM2 "Black Edition" Phenom dualie.
And I likes it. :D

More compact version here.

EDIT: Actually I think the version I use is the 92mm version, not 110mm or 85mm.

Last edited by Theo on Thu May 21, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medium, not large, not small

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Theo wrote:

There's evidence that this cooler will work in the Antec 300:
HERE
HERE
HERE

And a quote from the last link:
Quote:
HDT S1283 and the 300 were made for each other... Using a bolt through kit set the heatsink with a fan on the bottom blowing the air up through it and the top 140MM fan exhausting.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

wammie wrote:

Here's my (final?) parts list. I dropped the hard drive/imaging software combo in favor of a hard drive/Vista combo. I can find a freeware alternative for drive imaging.

Others on Newegg have ordered the heat sink here with this CPU. I imagine it fits, though the part doesn't name an AM3 CPU specifically as compatible.

The only thing I can think of to improve this would be to get a solid state hard drive large enough for the OS, a smaller hard drive for programs/data, and use the 1T drive for personal files on a file server made from my current machine. But that would be more $$$. Anyone have comments?

Arrrgggh! The power supply will need an APEVIA 9.5" 4 Pin P4 /12V to 8 Pin P8 /12V Power Supply Converter Cable for my motherboard!

Another part for the list! My "ledge" keeps getting higher but I'm donning my brass goggles for the dive.

Hope I'm not boring y'all with the details of this "make," but for those who might be getting up nerve to make their own jump, they'll see some of the things that we have to deal with. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:59 pm 

I know this monkeys around with your combo deals & whatnot, but might I suggest this power supply instead? $90.00, 5-year warranty.

Attachments:
File comment: nice piece of engineering, too
seasonic_550_cabling.jpg
seasonic_550_cabling.jpg [ 49.57 KiB | Viewed 858 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Theo wrote:
I know this monkeys around with your combo deals & whatnot, but might I suggest this power supply instead? $90.00, 5-year warranty.

Yeah, I like Seasonic. Famous for quietness. Bought one for my current computer. And this has active PFC, 4 12v rails. With a five year warranty, probably the best option.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next