Site Logo

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: So...what are you working on?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:53 pm 

I'm working on...
Controllers for Scratch using scratch board/picoboard
I recommend Scratch for anyone with kids Kindergarten & up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:47 pm 

Just made a thumb piano!I need to make the sound hole bigger, but 1/4" is the largest bit I have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 pm 

jtbarclay wrote:
I need to make the sound hole bigger, but 1/4" is the largest bit I have.

So drill a pattern of multiple holes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

orion wrote:
wammie wrote:
I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my primary desktop PC. I've built my own PCs and I'll be doing the same on this upgrade, I imagine. I'm going to see what can be done for about $1000. I can perhaps use the same case, a mid-tower. Or, I'd go for a bare bones package and add my custom-selected components. I'm looking for good performance for multi-media, with a powerful but probably not exotic (water-cooled, etc.) video card to drive my 1920x1200 LCD display. I have in the past bought from places like Newegg and TigerDirect, but if my local Micro Center has acceptable components, I'll buy from them.

Another project: I'll need someone who has a spare computer with an open IDE slot to test an external hard drive of mine which seems to have gone belly up. The problem may lie in the enclosure electronics though. At present I don't have a spare slot or other hard drives to test the drive or enclosure.

A third project: My wife has an old HP laptop in working order, but with a flaky power jack (common ailment among laptops). I'll need to open the unit and inspect the internal jack, replacing it if necessary.

If anyone has suggestions or helpful tips, please let me know. Thanks!

project 1 i use newegg and 1000 will get you some nice parts.
project 2 if you bring the drive on wed for the social meeting ill bring my adapter and can tell you if its bad.
project 3 tried doing it myself only to discover that most laptop powersupplys contain a signaling chip to tell the laptop its genuine. depending on how old it is it might not but 05 and newer i can almost guarantee it.

Orion, so if I bring my bare EIDE hard drive, sans the USB external enclosure, you'd be able to bring a computer and test the drive for power and readability?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Theo wrote:
orion wrote:
project 1 i use newegg and 1000 will get you some nice parts.

Seconded. Also, I've done this sort of thing a lot & would enjoy helping, if you're looking for help.

Theo, thanks for the offer! Sometimes when spec'ing out a new build I see what Rob Williams currently has at MySuperPC. I'll see if I can better any of his suggested components at a similar price. I found this website several years ago and found it to be a good reference source.

Also, I'll see what I can get at Dell for the same money and try to best it with my own component picks.

I have Windows 2000 Pro currently and will also want to upgrade my operating system.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 am 

:o Oooo-kay, just to be clear, here... before a line starts forming, y'know, I used to get $100/hr to do this stuff, and I can't afford to turn into Free Tech Support Dude. Onesie-twosie build parties, OK, that's fine, we can work something out (probably involving food & whatnot).

Now, if it looks like there might be enough interest to do a class, like UptownMaker did at Leo's Basement, except more along the lines of Learn to Build Your Own PC, then I'd be up for that. It wouldn't be a $15 order from Digi-Key and Ax-Man, y'know, though it's possible we could try out the kind of deal where we'd hack together whatever salvaged & recycled parts we could find into some kind of useful computer/router/etc. If interest ends up being skewing that way, I might even see about pulling in somebody from TC Open Circuit. That'd be more of an advanced class, though; a PC-building class based on a uniform bulk order of new parts would be much easier. Either way, I'd need to do some parts research & curriculum planning... hmmmmm...

Wammie -- I hadn't seen that SuperPC site before; it looks pretty decent. I started out basically cribbing off the hardware guides on Ars Technica, primarily for their Budget Box and Hot Rod configs. (And beating Dell's price/performance is not difficult.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:39 am 
Site Admin

I'm very familiar with ARS Technica myself. Also, for those doing their own builds:
HardOCP and Tom's Hardware (formerly "Tom's Hardware Guide") are great resources.

Wow Theo, I didn't know a person could get paid like that for consulting on PC building!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Thats about what i was charging when i did contract work. but i only got 12$ of that so i changed jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:04 pm 

wammie wrote:
I didn't know a person could get paid like that for consulting on PC building!

Yeah. It wasn't just that, though; I was doing a sort of one-man Geek Squad gig as a sole proprietorship. And except for the actual building of PCs and servers, it sucked and I hated it. I chucked it after a year & a half, and went back to corporate IT work full-time. (Also, my wife quit the job she hated right around that time, which kinda gave me a convenient excuse, y'know, to have the Steady Job while she went looking for a better workplace.) (She succeeded, too, very quickly.)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Major work on my basement! Clearing out all the nasty stuff and working toward finishing my basement! Things like ceiling tiles, floor tiles, wallboard, floor and wall painting are in progress!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next