Site Logo

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: war against homebrewtalk.com
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 pm 

So, as Theo knows... I got around my ban to try and post a list of my grievances last night, but was thwarted by needing moderator approval on my first post. I logged back in this morning to find my new account also banned. This means war! Next step, created new account, post bs first post...

Post subject: Re: war against homebrewtalk.com
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 pm 

Ok, for the rest of us who are not Theo, what pray tell are you babbling about?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:21 pm 

I was banned for being underage...

I'm not letting them take the easy way out, I want them to prove that I'm breaking A. Their rules. and B. any laws

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 pm 

i'm confused... they dont seem to *HAVE* any rules, other than be nice to the noobs, and it's nto illegal anywhere i know of to *talk* about brewing. (even in the middle east in heavily alcy regulated countries there are local home brew discussion forums (well there used to be when i was in college))

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 pm 

No wars.

Let me say that again: NO WARS. Got that?

We're here to build community, not burn any down. If the homebrew forum doesn't want your input, fine. We do. Just let 'em be.

For the record, though, I don't personally support underage drinking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:10 pm 

ha sorry I didn't mean for it to come off as tcmaker vs. homebrewtalk, this is strictly a personal vendetta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm 

Just please keep it civil, because it's not just about you, 'k?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 pm 

Here's my drunken ramblings, I saved it because I sort of had a feeling they wouldn't post it.

Quote:
As I am drinking this delicious home brewed cider I would like to publicly post a list of my grievances towards YooperBrew and the rest of the moderating team here at homebrewtalk.

First off, let me make it clear that I have indeed read the rules, and I do know that the preferred method of complaints is through personal messages. However, I feel like this issue needs to be raised in a manner such as it is publicly viewable so that even when/if Yooper decides to delete this thread it will still have been seen.

As far as the $5,000 USD check, I'll follow your rules and mail it, as soon as the administration follows them as well, in which case my original account, jtbarclay, will be unbanned and no $5,000 check will be owed.

[url="http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/how-legal-underage-homebrew-81869/index6.html"]My first request is that this thread be unlocked[/url], it is my opinion that there was a healthy discussion taking place that was rudely put to an end by YooperBrew.

My second request is that my account, jtbarclay, be unbanned. At the age of 20 I am prohibited from purchasing alcohol in the state of Minnesota, however I am not prohibited from consuming or producing it. If the reason for my ban was legality, and not just a chauvinistic display of ageism by YooperBrew, then it would only be fair that all members who reside in the state of Alabama, and other states where brewing is illegal, be banned.

Let it be known that my third request has been lost to the haziness induced by this homemade cider.

My fourth and final request is that the moderating team adopts an "innocent until proven guilty" attitude. In YooperBrew's final post in the aforementioned thread, he/she stated, "The fact is that if you are in the US, it is illegal for anyone under 21 to possess or consume alcohol. So, if you are under 21, and in the US, come back when you are over 21. No minors are allowed on the forum." I had previously stated that I was 20 years old and living in Minnesota, a state in the US, Guilty as charged. However, I don't believe that making up federal laws is a power granted by obtaining moderation privileges. The fact of the matter is that the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 states that revenue will be withheld from states that allow the purchase of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. Any fifth grader has learned enough about logic to deduce that it is implied that the drinking age is left to be determined by the state. As I posted in the thread listed above, I am knowledgeable of the Minnesota state laws regarding underage consumption of alcohol and there is no prohibition of brewing under the age of 21. Since my quested posted in said thread, aha a rhyme, was not answered I did some research of my own, hence this post.

I don't own this site, if you wish to banish all persons under the age of 21, so be it. However, I think that it is in your interest to be welcome to minors interested in your hobby.

Thank you for taking your time to read this
Yours truly,
jtbarclay

aside from a couple of playful jests I think it's civil enough

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:27 pm 

there's a BUCKET of misinformation about booze out there. afaik in mn you can't sell or give alcy to anyone under 21 unless they're your kids, however anyone over 18 can brew.

imho if they think they need to protect themselves somehow, let em. from what i could sus out, they're wrong, and missing the point of a sharing community, but that's their thing.

that said, by the letter of the tax law, if you own anything that *can* be used as a still, even if you're not, all the property thereon can be seized. so... if you own a water heater and a garden hose, or a stew pot, wok an cereal bowl, or even a crockpot, the revenuers *could* opt to seize all of your property, not that they appear to ever have done so.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:38 pm 

Honestly, I have always found that the peeps over at http://forum.northernbrewer.com/index.php are by far the most helpful and informative users. It's the only brewing forum I participate in. There are plenty of HB forums out there, if you don't like HBT, just go somewhere else.