Committees

Social get-togethers, business meetings, outings and scoutings
metis

Committees

Postby metis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am

at last nights meeting we sorted out a bunch of things and got some direction on others, but created several committees to sift through some of the general details that we need to finesse to get things off the ground without doign a few bits every other week, and with a bucket of folks. if you are interested in joining a committee, speak to the folks on it. if you thought you volunteered and i missed you, or you didn't and i tagged you, let me know. committee members should be getting an email momentarily

committees WILL be looking for suggestions, and following the boards, but will also have offline conversations and meetings as there is stuff we don't necessarily want to broadcast to the public in certain negotiations. these are temproaryish committees that may become permanent, but are as follows:

Organization: dealing with how we structure our by-laws, how and if we can partner with another group, and how we incorporate/get a parent orginization
volunteers: metis, orion, DanBackslide, Kāpili

Finance: setting up dues structure, looking at grants, (the meeting leaned towards 50$ a month for basic dues)
volunteers: orion, uptownmaker, medios

Space: continued research into possible locations
volunteers: idris_arslanian, wammie

Programming: further fleshing out of the programmatic intents we discussed at the meeting, practicalities, finessing combinations of program elements and expansion possibilities
volunteers: metis

[edits to reflect changes in who's on what]
[7/24/09: Edited to remove paulsobczak and Theo from lists -wammie]
Last edited by metis on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Theo

Re: Committees

Postby Theo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:13 pm

metis wrote:Programming: further fleshing out of the programmatic intents we discussed at the meeting, practicalities, finessing combinations of program elements and expansion possibilities
volunteers: Theo, metis, paulsobczak, idris_arslanian

Sounds like this committee will actually be me, Metis, Paul, and Swink (not Idris). [from email]

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 pm

I would rather be on two than three committees if that is possible.

Theo

Postby Theo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Oh! I would call that prudent, not just possible. So, would Programming be the one you'd bow out of?

Three's probably enough for Programming, but I wouldn't mind having 1 more person (who was so inclined) to be the fourth.

metis

Postby metis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:38 pm

pick which you want paul, they're volunteer, i wasn't sure if you realized you'd signed up for three, but figured you might be a masochist.

imho if you wanted to stay on all three but be less active that'd be cool too.

medios

Postby medios » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Throw me down for finance!

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 am

Is anyone out there willing to do space, it is quite difficult for me to check these places out because I don't currently live in the area, but I don't want to leave the space committee with just two people.

So does anybody want to lend a hand on the space committee to take my spot?

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:00 pm

paulsobczak wrote:Is anyone out there willing to do space, it is quite difficult for me to check these places out because I don't currently live in the area, but I don't want to leave the space committee with just two people.
So does anybody want to lend a hand on the space committee to take my spot?

Frankly it's going to be hard for anybody non-local or folks who, y'know, work during normal business hours, to do the actual legwork of checking the spaces out. I get that. What I'll need support on are processing the results I bring home, following up, etc.

That said, I would very much enjoy & appreciate other field researchers (Nick has done some), either to accompany, or to search independently. Then the whole committee can report back, post & discuss, then bring the cream of the crop to a business meeting. I'd be happy to have Space Committee meetings at my house. Me Schmoop sometimes has her writer's group or book club over; it's all good. And there's the Movie Wall, which is sometimes also just a nice internet-connected projector monitor. :)

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Oooh, internet projector monitors, could be turned into a multitouch... or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdDhWfpqxg

Return to “Meetups”