Site Logo

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cider
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:26 am 

No, you're just making it go dormant. If you want to carb, I'd do it within a week or so. There will still be plenty of yeast in there to get a decent fizz going. You're then going to want to warm it up above 63ish for 3-4 weeks to get enough CO2 in there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:44 pm 

So in other words, just don't stick it in the fridge after I bottle. It's still got 18 days left in the bucket.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:36 pm 

OK, I know this is an old thread and you guys had your thing going here..

But after seeing instructables from last fall on making hardcore/alchoholic cider I thought I'd try it.

I ran into a snag - all the ciders I could find were pasteurized in some form or another, even the commercially available organic ones. On a side note if you're buying organic cider to make your own hardcore cider, you might just as well be buying hardcore cider. Does anybody know a way around this? I tried calling a few apple places around the metro, but the few that understood what I wanted to do told me they couldn't sell me non-pasteurized cider. Are you guys making your own straight from apples? Then we get into the subject if you're not growing your own apples is there anyplace that will sell you the secondhands/castoffs for cheap for making cider from with a press? This seemed to be the most economical way in my mind (and it would require me to build a press :) but apples from the orchards aren't cheap anymore, and I don't have room for apple trees, much less mature ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:49 pm 

Pasteurized is ok. What you don't want is any additives. Just look to make sure the only ingredient is apple juice. I found "Indian Summer" brand cider at cub foods for $4.50 a gallon. Wyeast 4766 from Midwest Brewing should be around $7 and will do a 5 gallon batch. 5 gallons for ~ $30. Unless you want to ferment using the natural yeast from the apple skin, then you'll need to have some freshly pressed from an orchard, or press your own.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:59 pm 

you wont get unpasturized until the fall, then hit up an orchard. you'll also find some in co-ops.

really *any* squished apple product will work provided you cont' have preservatives in it. just read the labels, and buy a homogeneous brand if you want to repeat the recipe (i.e. don't get bob's generic frozen apple juice, get motts or the like)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:04 pm 

So.. skimming back through your other discussion. Pasteurized is ok, but then I'll have to add my own yeast (ah that wonderful fungi that eats sugar and poops alchohol)

Actually now that I think about it, that's precisely what those brew at home kits have in them isn't it? Those don't rely on natural levels of yeast in the pre-prepared product... *eyes Cub Foods for jugs of previously scoffed at Indian summer*

I still think I should be able to find a local orchard that will sell me some cider right as it comes off the press - I have to be honest I think the variations in color and the bits of pulp that end up in the finished product that way do give it some character

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 pm 

bdsimmons2 wrote:
I still think I should be able to find a local orchard that will sell me some cider right as it comes off the press

BINGO. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:28 pm 

doesn't need to be right off the press, actually a bit better to have them bottle it and refrigerate, it'll have a bit less gunk. still get pitched within a day or two.

natural cider is a crapshoot, if you're *really* good and know your local yeast populations it'll be fine, but almost everyone i've ever met has pitched yeast, even if it's a culture they've grown from the apples themselves. you want a STRONG initial growth of beneficials or you'll get yuck.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:48 pm 

So - I know this is the internet and all, and we like to use anonymisms; however this is Twin Cities Maker; Have you had luck with a particular Apple Orchard? Last fall I called all the places in the west metro that came up in a yellow pages search (not a comprehensive search by any means, probably all very commercialized) but the 2 in Minnetonka, one in maple plain, and one in Delano (?) all told me they couldn't sell me un-pasteurized cider (non-pasteurized? is there a proper form of pasteurize?)

Sigh, I suppose I might as well make an avatar and set this forum to autologin... looks like another place on the web I could be whiling away when I should be working...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:00 pm 

Y'know, even pasteurized, orchard cider is far better than that clear filtered applewater stuff. And from what I gather above (jtbarclay and metis have both actually done this, btw) you'll be adding some kind of brewer's yeast regardless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next