Yea for massive online storage on the cheap

Update: This post is full of garbage info concerning prices, it’s not cheap

This image is © Wellcome Images, but has been altered into a Derivative Work by Paul Sobczak by cropping, removing and adding content

I have been looking around for awhile on a suitable storage option for a decent size of data. I want to host the podcasts for a small radio station that I used to work at up in Fargo, ND, and I also want to have the storage capabilities myself.

Enter Amazon S3, the storage capacity is unlimited, and it’s cheap, the only problem that I was running into was that I didn’t want to create an application to do all of the uploading in the format that amazon likes.

Enter S3 Fox this firefox add on is exactly what I was looking for, but I didn’t know it existed. Now with it I can do exactly what I want, upload files easily and access the direct file on the internet.

Amazon s3 for those interested has the following price structure:

Storage

• $0.150 per GB – first 50 TB / month of storage used
  • $0.140 per GB – next 50 TB / month of storage used
  • $0.130 per GB – next 400 TB /month of storage used
  • $0.120 per GB – storage used / month over 500 TB

Data Transfer

• $0.030 per GB – all data transfer in April 1, 2009 through June 30, 2009 – 3rd Anniversary Celebration!
    (Note: data transfer in will return to its normal price of $0.100 per GB on July 1)
  • $0.170 per GB – first 10 TB / month data transfer out
  • $0.130 per GB – next 40 TB / month data transfer out
  • $0.110 per GB – next 100 TB / month data transfer out
  • $0.100 per GB – data transfer out / month over 150 TB

Requests

• $0.01 per 1,000 PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests
  • $0.01 per 10,000 GET and all other requests*

* No charge for delete requests

So anyway you look at it the price is really cheap, cheaper than the price of running and the initial purchase of an external hard drive, and as a bounus you can access your files on the net.  Digital Web has a great article about s3 and it’s where I found out about s3 fox. I recommend if  you want to learn more about s3.

Leave a Reply