Going on a maker shop tour

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
paulsobczak
Site Admin

Going on a maker shop tour

Postby paulsobczak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Just wanted to let everybody know I am planning on going on a little maker shop tour here in the near future.

So far my plans are to go and check out the Tech Shop in Menlo Park and Noise Bridge in San Fransisco. From there my plans are to move up the coast to the Portland/Seattle region and check out the people putting together the Tech shop in Portland if they are willing. I will also be visiting NYC and plan on stopping by NYC resistor, and perhaps some other maker shops in the area or along the way.

The trip is something I have planned for awhile and well, now it is most likely something all of you are interested in, so I thought I would share before I head out the door.

Any thoughts on this or suggestions?

idris_arslanian

Re: Going on a maker shop tour

Postby idris_arslanian » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Wow, you must be single. Have fun and take a bunch of notes!

JWink

Postby JWink » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:37 pm

idris_arslanian wrote:Wow, you must be single. Have fun and take a bunch of notes!

...and pictures if possible...

Christopher Weeks

Postby Christopher Weeks » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:47 pm

I was at the Menlo Park Tech Shop five weeks ago for a tour -- wondering what it would take to get something like that off the ground back here. It's a neat place. I bet, with the cost of space being so much less here, if enough partners/participants/founders/customers can come together, it'll be significantly cheaper.

I look forward to hearing back about your tour.

fivesixzero

Postby fivesixzero » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Yeah, I look forward to hearing about your observations and experiences on your tour. You should throw some photos up on flickr and share the link. :)

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:51 pm

fivesixzero wrote:Yeah, I look forward to hearing about your observations and experiences on your tour. You should throw some photos up on flickr and share the link. :)

I will put everything up on the blog.

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:08 pm

The trip starts tomorrow... Hurray! Follow the blog for pictures and such.

-paul

medios

Postby medios » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:59 am

Hey Paul,

Since you are going to be in NYC, one place I have always wanted to check out is Eyebeam Labs( http://www.eyebeam.org/labs ) if you are familiar with Makezine(of course you are) and their blog, you might recognize the name or at least one of their groups,the Graffiti Research Labs, the wonderful people who brought us LED Throwies and digitally projected graffiti. Anyways, I know they have a little different structure on how they are funded and how it operates, but I think it would be worth the trip!

Hope you are having fun!

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm

medios wrote:Hey Paul,

Since you are going to be in NYC, one place I have always wanted to check out is Eyebeam Labs( http://www.eyebeam.org/labs ) if you are familiar with Makezine(of course you are) and their blog, you might recognize the name or at least one of their groups,the Graffiti Research Labs, the wonderful people who brought us LED Throwies and digitally projected graffiti. Anyways, I know they have a little different structure on how they are funded and how it operates, but I think it would be worth the trip!

Hope you are having fun!

Cool thanks for the tip. I am planning on going to NYC resistor as well.

So far I have been to San Fran's Noise Bridge and Menlo Park's Tech (Yes!) Info on that coming soon.

Return to “General Discussion”