Site Logo

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Make: Day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:34 pm 

I had a blast today at Make: Day. I was the overwhelmed Geek Squad guy taking a ton of photos of everything and everybody there. :)

It was such a blur, I'm having trouble putting the faces with the names.

Who else was there? What did you guys think? How was it?

Post subject: Re: Make: Day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:40 pm 

I was there, I liked it!

Savage Aural hotbed was cool, it'd been years since I listened to them. The St. Thomas kids' car was pretty pimpin'.

I didn't see any #tcmaker cats but I did run into John Park, host of Make: Television, showing off some BEAM bots he built. Also, Bill Gurstelle was there but I didn't get a chance to talk to him -- I think he was running the whole show. I also saw some Studio Bricolage dudes I know. I really liked their pendulum painter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 pm 

it was a blast but exhausting.

met a ton of folks, helped set up a slew of things, passed out stacks of tcmaker flyers and business cards. id say the event was a huge success for make tv and the musuem. We got great exposure and a lot of folks interested in our concept.

A chunk of us went over to raspberry island after to test the spoonapult. Report to follow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:20 pm 
Global Moderator

jwb wrote:
I was there, I liked it!

Savage Aural hotbed was cool, it'd been years since I listened to them. The St. Thomas kids' car was pretty pimpin'.

I didn't see any #tcmaker cats but I did run into John Park, host of Make: Television, showing off some BEAM bots he built. Also, Bill Gurstelle was there but I didn't get a chance to talk to him -- I think he was running the whole show. I also saw some Studio Bricolage dudes I know. I really liked their pendulum painter.

SAH was very cool, was so happy the were there.

Surprising to not see you at all, we were there all day.

Make Day Rocked!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:33 pm 

jwb wrote:
I was there, I liked it!

I think I saw you leaving right as I got there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:18 pm 

Very cool. I wish I could have gotten my stepdaughter more interested in the robot making. That looked really cool. She really enjoyed the Bakken stuff though, which would be another cool place to take her some rainy (or Lord forbid, snowy) weekend. Saw quite a few other makers there, Uptown made some great business cards. Theo (I think it was you) made some Spoonapult stickers(or were they something else?). Wish I could have been there for the Spoonapultening, too bad it didn't go as planned, but it sounds like we have a good handle on the failure points for the rebuild, which we have the technology for...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:41 am 

I had fun, and met about 5 of you guys there by spotting t-shirts. I only remember the last 3 since I think their names all started with M: Matt Mike and Macai?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:11 am 

cfinger wrote:
I had fun, and met about 5 of you guys there by spotting t-shirts. I only remember the last 3 since I think their names all started with M: Matt Mike and Macai?

Probably Mike, Michael and Theo, actually. "Maker" is our last name. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:14 am 

jwb wrote:
Bill Gurstelle was there but I didn't get a chance to talk to him -- I think he was running the whole show.

Heh, I think Nick W. and Joan might have something to say about that.

By the way, JWB, I spotted you too, but only from a distance; I was probably on my way someplace.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:29 am 

No, it was me Mike, Matt, and Makai (who will hopefully be getting more involved with us as time passes- he's quite interested and excited about the whole idea but has a new daughter AND is working full-time, in school in evenings, and playing regular evening shows in a band).

It was quite the experience, though, and I'm thrilled to think that someday in the near future, we might be at a similar event as a group.