getting organized

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
metis

getting organized

Postby metis » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 am

could we get a few more forums in the getting started heading?

we could use a master thread to discuss

size/scope (how big, what scale of projects do we want to support, how do we manage a space)
uses (what sorts of tools/facilities do we want, separate from above, as we coudl have a small space with lots of multiuse, or a big facility with dedicated areas)
organizational structure (co-op? board of directors? instructors? membership models?)

i'd also suggest that we set up a weekly? mini meeting prior to the proposed feb shindig to get some face time, and get some conversations started. i.e. every wednesday at the bulldog NE in the back room folks can show up from 630-9 and get to know each other, and get some of the building blocks going. specifically NOT to decide anything, but to gauge interest, gauge skill sets, sus out what sorts of skills each of us can bring to the table to make this happen (i.e. i used to be a theatre technical director in a partial rental house, so i'm familiar with some of the liability issues, and npf management, and now work in architecture) we can bandy about what to discuss at the big meeting, and in what order, how to moderate, and if we want breakout groups... and some poor fool can report back here the next morning. what days work for folks in the evenigns? anyone object to a pub? other locations?

blinkinc

Re: getting organized

Postby blinkinc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:50 pm

I think a meetup to gauge interest is a great idea. From my experience meetups can really get the ball rolling.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:08 am

I could do Wed at 6:30 I think. Next Wed good for everyone?

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:10 pm

idris_arslanian wrote:I could do Wed at 6:30 I think. Next Wed good for everyone?

I will be out of town for a few weeks here, I have had a trip planned for awhile.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:21 pm

When are you going to be back, Paul? Is this the multi-state, tour of maker shops?

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:45 pm

idris_arslanian wrote:When are you going to be back, Paul? Is this the multi-state, tour of maker shops?

Yes, it is. Well I am visiting a few friends along the way as well. I will be back in the middle of February.

metis

Postby metis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:54 pm

not to exclude you paul, (or anyone else) but my idea was to more get to know each other a bit and brain storm rather than actually organize anything. just setting a time and place that a few random folks each week can show up at and bounce ideas around over a pint. i know i wouldn't be able to make weekly meetings, but figure if we can get 4~6 folk together with some overlap between weeks we as a group can get a better feel for each others interests, skills and goals in the project. sort of the after meeting happy hour, but before we actually have a big powwow when you get back with oodles of photos and more ideas.

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm

metis wrote:not to exclude you paul, (or anyone else) but my idea was to more get to know each other a bit and brain storm rather than actually organize anything. just setting a time and place that a few random folks each week can show up at and bounce ideas around over a pint. i know i wouldn't be able to make weekly meetings, but figure if we can get 4~6 folk together with some overlap between weeks we as a group can get a better feel for each others interests, skills and goals in the project. sort of the after meeting happy hour, but before we actually have a big powwow when you get back with oodles of photos and more ideas.

Yes that sounds like it wouldn't hurt, I know the people who put together mnhackers, the people over at studio bricolage and Make: Television have all expressed some interest in the development of the proposed maker shop. So involving them will help too.

I think studio bricolage already has some equipment and they also have been doing some events in the area.

huebner5000

Postby huebner5000 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 am

I think a weekly meeting to get to know each other, organize, discuss issues and ideas is a great way to build on the current momentum & keep things moving forward.

Wednesdays at 6:30pm is as good a time as any. I suggest Anodyne coffee house as a location: its above Studio Bricolage/Leonardo's basement so anyone who hasn't been there can peek in the windows.

metis

Postby metis » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 pm

it's a bit less centrally located than either of the mpls bulldogs or common roots, but works. anyone have other suggestions?

Return to “General Discussion”