March 4th Meeting

Social get-togethers, business meetings, outings and scoutings
paulsobczak
Site Admin

March 4th Meeting

Postby paulsobczak » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:11 am

The March 4th Meeting will take place at Studio Bricolage http://www.studiobricolage.org/

Minneapolis, MN 55409
Time: 7:00 pm

Notes: There is a coffee shop there as well.

Theo

Re: March 4th Meeting

Postby Theo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:16 am

paulsobczak wrote:Notes: There is a coffee shop there as well.
Yep -- Anodyne!
Sebastian Joe's is in the building too, but it's a wholesale location, not really an ice cream parlor.

metis

Postby metis » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:39 pm

how much do we need to buy to count as wholesale?

i can knock off a few pints in an evening if the sacrifice must be made....

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Can I suggest one point of business that we should attend to at the meeting on Wednesday?

As a group, we need to decide on what we're going to do for Make: day. I know six(?) of us are planning on volunteering, and several more on showing up; we should be wearing something (there's been a lot of discussion about a t-shirt) to display our affiliation and provide people with a point-of-contact to us (the web address) without them having to ask us directly.

I think we should also consider printing up business cards- I think I actually have some around here somewhere, but if I don't, they are quite easily do-able. In keeping with the maker theme, it might be nice if the card could be made into something- perhaps it's square with instructions for folding it into an origami animal on the back, or it can be shaped into something by being cut, folded, and glued a bit.

And for the T, the card, and the website, we should once and for all develop a logo or design that is simple, expressive, memorable, and recognizable. It'll be our brand, after all. It might be a good idea to check the HackerSpace Wiki and see what some other groups are doing for their logos. Noisebridge and NYCResistor are both reasonably good ones. We should try to pick one by this weekend so we can make whatever it is we're making.

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 pm

...and as much as I like pie, I think we should work up a design that's a bit more representative & straightforward. ;)

metis

Postby metis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 am

i'll see what i can scrounge for making a stamp on the way down, it'd be fun to make our business cards as say a stamp on reclaimed cardstock or the like.

we coudl do a few pieces of the spoon veneer.... anyone have other business card thickenss scrap lying about to bring tonight?

Theo

Postby Theo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:32 pm

metis wrote:we coudl do a few pieces of the spoon veneer...

Ooh. I really, REALLY like this idea conceptually, but I just don't see how it could be made to work practically. Old wood just doesn't act like thick paper.

metis

Postby metis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:21 pm

take stamp, ink, smash on wood....?

cut wood to length with carpet knife?

Theo

Postby Theo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:39 pm

...sweet-looking woodchip card is given to contact person. Contact person places card in wallet. Wallet is returned to back pocket. Person sits down... :(

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:10 pm

sweet looking woodchip card is placed in pocket, and remembered when contact gets home. not lost in there wallet ;)

Return to “Meetups”