Site Logo

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Logos & Designs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 am 
Global Moderator

I was thinking the connector between the t and m could be an extension cord.

I'm not against a interesting non-representational design though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:14 am 

noise wrote:
I was thinking the connector between the t and m could be an extension cord.
Heh, sure. And the long vertical bar on the K could be a ruler with a few stylized in-cut ticks.

noise wrote:
I'm not against a interesting non-representational design though.
Well, we're talking about the official logo, now. I think, for this, the more visual meaning we can impart into a simple & tight stamp, the better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:34 am 

Was anyone still interested in a isometric view of the Spoonapult to use as the logo?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:37 am 

logo, not so much icon yes.

i still think our "logo" should be project shots that form letters. even if it's predominantly static, it gives individual members ownership of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:29 pm 

I wasn't attempting to create an official logo, I just wanted a cool design for a shirt.

Here's my 2¢ on whatever design we come up with:

Let's not over think it or try to make it too clever. Look at the logos of the other maker collectives. Most of them are very simple and direct, without hidden meaning. A couple of places use a symbol, like PumpingStationOne's "snowflake" or NYC Resistor's resistor symbol.

Personally, since every maker is different, I feel like everyone could have their own logo. This runs counter-intuitive to conventional wisdom, but not every organization needs to be run like a corporation with a mission statement, TPS reports, and letterhead.

Everyone making their own variant of the logo seems far more makerly than having one official design!

That said, if anyone wants me to post the SVG of my design, I'd be happy to. Mix it up!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:37 pm 

the *point* of a logo is uniformity of branding to make it identifyable. while divergent logos happen, (think coca-cola in every language, but in an iconic script) differs in logos need to be the same.

i.e. pepsi reinvents it's logo every few years to prove that it's "fresh" and for the next "new" generation, but this means that no one knows what a pepsi logo looks like anymore. hence coke has intense lifelong brand loyalty, where as pepsi drinkers tend to identify less with the company than the particular flavor of soda.

if we take say a fixed color(s) banding or box, and differ the images of letters within it that are still clearly from projects, we're presenting a fixed logo, with a dymanic element (think how coke changes it's cans constantly, but the red is always there, and the squiggle)

everyone having their own "logo" makes it very difficult for folks to identify us as a *group* rather than individuals who are doing some fan art.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:45 pm 

jwb wrote:
I wasn't attempting to create an official logo, I just wanted a cool design for a shirt.

That's cool, understood... but in my opinion, thus far, you & Nick have shown the best eye for this sort of design. Develop, evolve, refine!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm working on something as well. Logo making is tough work. I've done some before; getting the elements simple, instantly recognizable, and fit for proper utilization are all things that have to be taken into account.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

All,

I've been working on some logo designs, both simple and medium complexity. In one attempt, I went so far as scanning an actual hammer and C-clamp, then manually tracing the outline in my vector graphics program. I also did the state of Minnesota this way from a map online, and that led me to playing with some other ideas.

I was aiming at something that could be represented in a 16x16 icon. This is a tough task; usually each pixel in a 16x16 icon is adjusted manually for best appearance.

Anyway, here is an icon/graphic to consider that uses simple geometric shapes with integer size relationships. It is actually recognizable and unique at 16x16 as well. For larger representations, of course, the simple shapes can be embellished and words placed in or around the shapes.

Another thought I had for a general idea was to use Minnesota's gold and maroon colors, and incorporate a simple shape of Minnesota.

Please provide feedback on these ideas. I don't care particularly if my symbols get adopted, and I'm in favor of having many designs for t-shirts or what-have-you, but I'm hoping we can agree on something for an "official" icon or favicon design.

Attachment:
TCMaker-Logo.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

And here is an example of a quickly "embellished" logo:
Attachment:
TCMaker-Logo-Embellished.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next