Anyone local tried to build this DIY headtracker?

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
wammie
Site Admin

Anyone local tried to build this DIY headtracker?

Postby wammie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Hey,

Has anyone local tried to build this Arduino Nano DIY headtracker?

There's a lot of documentation on it, so it seems not that difficult to build, esp. for someone with good Arduino experience. I think I'm going to get the parts and play with it, but instead of feeding PWM output into an RC controller, I'd like to use the output signal to mimick a joystick on a computer.

Arduino Nano Headtracker.jpg
Arduino Nano Headtracker.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 2141 times

wammie
Site Admin

Re: Anyone local tried to build this DIY headtracker?

Postby wammie » Sat May 18, 2013 7:53 am

So... I've ordered two pairs of these chips to play with. They'll be arriving on a slow boat from China sometime in June (hopefully).

Thorpedo

Postby Thorpedo » Mon May 20, 2013 5:33 am

I haven't tried that setup. However, I've been playing around with a Bluetooth LE device, the $25 Texas Instruments SensorTag, which has a gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetrometer (compass), and some environmental sensors. I have thought that it would make the basis for a good headtracker.

Also some people I know are working on a new VR project called Oculus Rift, a virtual reality device that was funded by a Kickstarter. My understanding is that it has head tracking built-in.

We are going to have a bit of a hackfest with it Wednesday (5/22) night (follow this Eventbright link).

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Thorpedo wrote:...We are going to have a bit of a hackfest with it Wednesday (5/22) night (follow this Eventbright link).
Doug, I am !SO! going to this meeting! I've registered! I have been following Rift development since I first heard of it... admittedly, only a few weeks ago. But since, I've watched most of the related YouTube videos on it and perused the Rift developer forums. See you on Wednesday!

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Tue May 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Thorpedo wrote:I haven't tried that setup. However, I've been playing around with a Bluetooth LE device, the $25 Texas Instruments SensorTag, which has a gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetrometer (compass), and some environmental sensors. I have thought that it would make the basis for a good headtracker.
Wish I had come across this beforehand. I wanted to get bluetooth to work with the GY-85/Nano chip combo too. Anyway, I received my sensor chips already so I can start testing them on my Arduino Duemilanove even before the nanos arrive.

Thorpedo

Postby Thorpedo » Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm sorry but the oculus rift thing will be on the 29th not the 22nd.

Return to “General Discussion”