Site Logo

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My head is exploding with ideas!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:48 pm 

I'm a returning member, but I have to say my hiatus was much longer than my initial stint with the group. I've decided to join back up because I have so many ideas bouncing around my head and most of them require expertise I'm currently lacking... and I really missed working with other folks. Anyway, here's my list of current projects/ideas if anyone is interested in weighing in or helping with the builds.

RepRap - Nearly finished but I still have the z-axis lead-screws, wiring and print bed to finish.

One-Wheeled Self-Balancing Vehicle - Early design stage. A one-wheeled vehicle similar to the Orbis concept but based on the Focus Design SBU V3. Uses the Golden Motors Magic Pie 2 hub motor with an Arduino. I need help figuring out how to run the motor with the Arduino.

Small Foundry - Final stages. I made a small foundry out of a large holiday popcorn tin, perlite and refractory cement. Fires really well with propane, just needs some final tweaks like a better blower, waste oil feed, and a good crucible. Need pointers on sand casting, too.

Raspberry Pi in-car theater system with arcade emulator - Design stages. Uses a micro-projector and a pull-down screen in the back of a hatchback. Might have an issue with lumens during the day, but at night.... sweet.

CNC Plasma Cutter - Because why not? Should be simple enough using EZCNC stepper drivers, a laptop and Mach 3.

Locost 7 kit car - Who never wanted to build their very own car? I have all the plans and instructions. Or I might just order the Factory Five Roadster kit, either way anyone that wants to can be part of it.

A Hovercraft - "It's the wave of the future."... And no brakes!

A mini-buggy - I have the plans and the motor, but I'm seriously lacking in time.

A Yurt/Gert made from recycled billboard vinyl for 3rd world countries and emergency shelters -I found a local dealer of recycled billboard vinyl, and not too badly priced. Need to find a good insulation material, unless I intend it as a 3 season shelter. Summers might get hot if I can't get white vinyl. May look into a pex based in-floor heat system using small solar panels and a backup stove.

The Entire Dave Gingery Workshop - I have all of his books to make the tools. I'll even loan them out if you're interested.

Electric Powered Paraglider - I want to try and build one for half the cost of the commercially available gas ones. I'd buy the wing, of course. Shooting for a total weight of around 60lbs.

Savonius style wind generator - I'd like to rig a small trailer with this mounted on top to create a small portable power system. I've seen it done with solar panels, but I think wind power would make a good demo.

That's my list of current projects/ideas if anyone is interested in working on any of these, let me know. I'll hunt around the forum and see if there are any similar projects but I thought I'd toss these out there.

Edit: Because I added some stuff.

Glad to be back,
Jon

You can't have Success without the suck.

Too many irons, not enough fire.

Last edited by Gyvven on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My head is exploding with ideas!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 am 

Dang, I wish you well sound like some great projects, hope to see you at the HF.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 am 

Thanks Pete,

And one of these days I may actually finish one of them. I'm brining my RepRap to the HF so I can sit down and focus on it, since it just sits on my desk staring at me with those accusing eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 pm 

hope you have some great projects in near future .... thanks

http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFPUG

Post subject: I found some billboard vinyl!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am 

I decided to focus on tracking down some billboard vinyl, since I struck out talking to the advertisers directly and found a local company that sells it at very reasonable prices. That's one major hurdle overcome, I guess I need to start working on the frame and such now.

Does anyone have some scrap 2x lumber I can rip down? About 8' sticks would be perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

The one-wheeled vehicle is my favorite here. I also had an idea of making a yurt as a structure for video projection inside, if a somehow it would be possible to do reasonable corrections for geometric distortion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:17 am 

I know with my big CRT projector I have 14 horizontal and 14 vertical points to adjust geometry and they can be chained together with the right video processor. I have no idea if the new projectors have anything beyond keystone and skew adjustments, perhaps a proper video processor will have something built-in for such corrections.

The one-wheeled vehicle is at a point where I need to make a decision; do I go with a tried and true brushed DC motor or do I spend the money and experiment with a BLDC hub style motor? I'd prefer the hub motor, but it's a costly experiment if I can't get it to work. Of course just making the controller for the brushed motor will cost quite a bit, too, unless anyone knows where I can find a 24-48v 50-100A (or more) controller for cheap that I can plug an Arduino into.