Site Logo

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Reflow oven
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:21 am 

Has anyone used either of the toaster ovens in the classroom as reflow ovens? It looks quite easy to do with no modifications if you want to watch a thermometer mounted inside, but it might be nice to automate one of these with a temperature sensor and some electronics. Anyone interested in trying this or working with me to do it?

Post subject: Re: Reflow oven
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:20 pm 

I'd work with you on this. I think I have most if the parts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am 

i donated the black toaster labeled "not for food" in the classroom quite a while back specifically to be made into a reflow oven. i believe uptownmaker said it was ideal back when he was still about.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:36 am 

Great! Sparkfun has a tutorial on making a controller. They also sell one for about $90.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 am 

I'm working on a smartphone accessory project and recently received some sample CC2541 Texas Instruments Bluetooth LE (low energy) chips that are SMD and for which I could use a reflow oven. Is the reflow toaster oven still around? I can't recall seeing one marked for not-for-food as would indicate its use as a reflow oven.

Also, does anyone know of a good source of solder paste in a syringe for solder paste stenciling?

These Bluetooth LE chips are supposed to be able to communicate with the newer iPhones and Android phones pretty easily. The programming seems straight forward, and they don't require any special "built for iPhone" licensing. They have a 8051 system-on-a-chip built-in with a bunch of I/O lines so one would not need a separate microcontroller. There is also another version, the CC2540, which has a USB interface, but they are back-ordered.

What I want to do is build some generic boards for trying out controlling different things with them, like a garage door opener. If anyone else is interested in trying out something like this, please feel free to let me know. I am also getting the SensorTag developement kit/device which uses the CC2541.

- Doug

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 am 

Thorpedo wrote:
I'm working on a smartphone accessory project and recently received some sample CC2541 Texas Instruments Bluetooth LE (low energy) chips that are SMD and for which I could use a reflow oven. Is the reflow toaster oven still around? I can't recall seeing one marked for not-for-food as would indicate its use as a reflow oven.

Also, does anyone know of a good source of solder paste in a syringe for solder paste stenciling?

These Bluetooth LE chips are supposed to be able to communicate with the newer iPhones and Android phones pretty easily. The programming seems straight forward, and they don't require any special "built for iPhone" licensing. They have a 8051 system-on-a-chip built-in with a bunch of I/O lines so one would not need a separate microcontroller. There is also another version, the CC2540, which has a USB interface, but they are back-ordered.

What I want to do is build some generic boards for trying out controlling different things with them, like a garage door opener. If anyone else is interested in trying out something like this, please feel free to let me know. I am also getting the SensorTag developement kit/device which uses the CC2541.

- Doug

Doug,

We should talk. I think that there might be some things we can do together. I already did some work with BLE as you know but would love to join forces if it means that we could move things along faster and with more brain power.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 am 

That sounds good. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with Bluetooth.

Have you ever used a toaster over for a reflow oven before?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:55 pm 

Thorpedo wrote:
That sounds good. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with Bluetooth.

Have you ever used a toaster over for a reflow oven before?

Doug, why don't you contact me at [email protected] ?