(Metal) Band Saw Modifications

What things would you use at the maker shop?
CodeMonkey83

Postby CodeMonkey83 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Looks pretty sweet and easy to do now that we have the Bridgeport. Any thoughts?

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm#bandsaw

contortpiezo

Postby contortpiezo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Kudos for the creativity but I think it would be a better effort to raise funds for an actual vertical metal bandsaw. The safety of a modified power tool like this is questionable.

CodeMonkey83

Re: (Metal) Band Saw Modifications

Postby CodeMonkey83 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:18 pm

contortpiezo wrote:Kudos for the creativity but I think it would be a better effort to raise funds for an actual vertical metal bandsaw. The safety of a modified power tool like this is questionable.

You do have a point with regards to safety. Just to be clear, I wasn't endorsing nor implying a custom-built VMB (Vertical Metal Bandsaw) at the HC. I was more interested in sharing a few parts in particular @ http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/article_sort.htm

1. (a cautionary tale) labelled Bandsaw Meltdown - Fire Hazard! (07/13/02). As he stated himself, "Moral of this story: do not leave the bandsaw unattended while it is in operation!"

2. Bi-Metal Replacement Blade has some suggestions about replacement blades.

3. Pulley & Belt Cover he describes how he solved the "pulley/belt cover rubbing against the pulleys" problem.

4. Holding Short or Odd-Shaped Stock *My personal favorite* he shows various modifications to the stock jaws to accommodate difficult stock like bolts, etc.

metis

Postby metis » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:35 pm

doesn't' our bandsaw have a table already that can be added on? or is there a portion of the functionality i'm not understanding?

contortpiezo

Postby contortpiezo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:54 am

I see, that sounds like great information. What was the article with short or odd shaped stock? I'd love to know that trick.

CodeMonkey83

Postby CodeMonkey83 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:23 am

The article is on the link I included above. Scroll down... :roll:

Return to “Uses/Equipment”