TCMaker at Minicon

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
Orkraider

TCMaker at Minicon

Postby Orkraider » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:52 am

As some of you might have heard, I just got back from working a table at Marscon, along with some other folks from Twin Cities Maker.

I had a lot of fun doing this, and I want to continue to present and have a presence at the science fiction and fantasy conventions here in town.

The next convention is Minicon ( http://www.mnstf.org/minicon47/ ) which takes place April 6 - 8.

Down the road a bit, I'm going to be asking for people to help man our table in the science room, and to help demo some of our interesting makery things.

For now, I'm asking for a different kind of help.

I'd like to, in addition to working the science room, attend the convention and have a chance to be there for the entire weekend to talk to people, network, and find folks who might be interested in our space.

Marscon set me up with a free badge, something Minicon doesn't do.

Preregistration for minicon costs $45, and ends on March 15th (tomorrow)

I'm hoping that some of you might be interested in helping out in covering the cost of preregistration, as I can't afford it at the moment.

If you can help with this, and if you're interested in helping demo at the event, please let me know.

Thanks!

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

wammie
Site Admin

Re: TCMaker at Minicon

Postby wammie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 am

Riley, I'll donate $20 to the cause! I only ask that in the future, please remember to use the Meetups section of the forum for posts such as this. I think the forum divisions we have are good and legitimate, but they're not being utilized properly. I'll probably see you then at tonight's open house.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks very much Wayne, it's appreciated, and I'll make sure my presence at Minicon gets put to good use.

I'll also make sure to use the meetups spot in the future; whenever I'm not sure, I hit general, but what you said makes good sense.

Riley
Riley Harrison

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:21 am

Hey, does anyone know of, or do we have, a laptop that Riley can take to this event and do our slideshow? I have the slideshow file.

Riley, what materials do you still need for promoting TC Maker? If as has been reported there are going to be only about 200 attendees, then we don't need a huge brochure printout. I think though that we should have some printed up.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:55 am

I think I have a sufficiency of brochures, business cards, etc.

What I really need, and what I'm going to be working on between now and then (among other things), is putting together some display stuff, i.e. trade show type vertical display space that can stand behind or above our table with pictures and promotional materials attached.

I have a budget of $0 for this, so I'm going to be working with what we have at the space, and what I can find in the meantime.

I want it to look "Maked" (that is now a word) without looking ghetto.

I'm open to suggestions.

Riley
Riley Harrison

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey all. Minicon is one week away, and I'm looking for some help.

I'd like to bring the same set of stuff I brought to marscon, i.e. the foshaybuchet, my smaller trebuchet, a couple bows, business cards, posters, brochures, posters, and a warm body or 2 or 5 to help man the table and talk to our potential recruits.

I'm looking for help with transportation, and working the table in the science room.

Ben Huset, who runs the science room for both minicon and marscon, has expressed interest in having operation, and the 10x circuit board, at the convention.

I don't have the energy to wrangle those bad boys, so if anyone wants to step up to the plate, that would be wicked.

Let me know, and have fun all.
Riley Harrison

Odegard

TCMaker at Minicon

Postby Odegard » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 am

Riley, I have a vertical folding display. And I may be available to attend minicon with you. I will know by Monday think.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Christopher Odegard

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:23 am

Chris, that's awesome.

I really hope you're able to make it, I'd have a lot more fun with you there.

I'm still looking for more help, with transportation and manning the table in the science room.

Thanks!

Riley
Riley Harrison

Thorpedo

Postby Thorpedo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:53 am

If MiniCon works out we should think about hosting a party room at Convergence this summer (4th of July weekend).

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:40 pm

I think a party room would be awesome!

I'm in the process of setting us up in the sandbox (art and science), but I think a party room would be great, and would give us a lot of positive exposure.

As far as minicon working out, I'm still looking for help with transporting stuff, and manning our table.

How minicon works out is most likely going to impact what type of presence I see us having at convergence; I'm highly motivated for success at both.

Riley
Riley Harrison

Return to “General Discussion”