Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Attracting Exhibitors: Announcing and Advertising
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Alrighty then, I've hacked and tweaked things again, hopefully for the last time. Here are thumbnails for the new versions. If nobody has objections to these, I'll link up the thumbnails to uploaded full PDFs.
Attachment:
Minne-Faire-2012-1x.png
Minne-Faire-2012-1x.png [ 833.59 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]
Attachment:
Minne-Faire-2012-4x.png
Minne-Faire-2012-4x.png [ 861.88 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Post subject: Re: Brief Copy for Exhibitor Solicitation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

wammie wrote:
So... for 2012, how about this? [EDIT - Text changed to reflect 7 PM for performances and socializing.]...

Oops, we need contact information... new text:

Twin Cities Maker, a non-profit group supporting local do-it-yourself and arts communities, is hosting its third "Minne-Faire," a mini Maker Faire, on Saturday, April 14, 2012.

The Minne-Faire will run from 12 PM to 5 PM at the group's Hack Factory home, 3119 E. 26th St. in Minneapolis, MN. Musical performances and socializing will follow at 7 PM.

TC Maker is seeking individuals, groups, and businesses to demonstrate or sell craft items, provide food, or sponsor this event. To inquire about participating, send an email to info[-at-]tcmaker.org or leave a message at 612-293-MAKE.

Of course, the "@" will be placed in the communication when sent out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 pm 

That looks fine.

What I'd like to see right now is a call to maker poster.

Something that looks very like this but a request for makers.

I'd like to use the run up maker call as a general awareness AD and outreach to makers. We can then hit the same places twice with different posters. This will also allow us to track interest.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Judeling wrote:
That looks fine.

What I'd like to see right now is a call to maker poster.

Something that looks very like this but a request for makers.

I'd like to use the run up maker call as a general awareness AD and outreach to makers. We can then hit the same places twice with different posters. This will also allow us to track interest.
Jude, thanks for commenting. Is the invitation then going to be more of a public nature then special invitation to past exhibitors? I think that would be a good idea for fairness' sake and to get some fresh people to share with our organization.

I've corresponded with Mr. Odegard about posters; I've invited him to look at my creation as well and critique it, or improve upon it. Perhaps we can let Mr. Odegard then take a first shot at the "we want makers" type of poster. I assume by "request for makers" you mean "request for exhibitors," right?

I remember that with a broad casting of invitations, we wound up with far more interested parties than we could accommodate. But I suppose that's an easy enough issue to deal with. We had previous discussions on how to decide among registrants.

Jude, if it would interest you, I can also provide you with the lists of persons who exhibited at our past Minne-Faires.

Also, I think I have text of an application form that I helped create last year. In 2011 the event wound up getting cobbled together without application forms. I think it's up to you if you want to employ application forms. I'll help in that regard if you want to utilize them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:43 am 

Wammie et al

I'm interested in anything you have. Past names the application all of it. I want to be able to document everything so next year whoever does this has a great starting point.

Go ahead and work up a version of your own. There is nothing that says we need only have one poster. Indeed multiple viewpoints simply reflects our diversity.

Yes I'd like to have many more applicants then slots. When someone expresses interest before an application is sent I intend to respond with an email laying out what is going to happen and how selections will be made. I will also be informing them that some talk of bringing a full Detroit/NYC/California sized fair to the metro area has been made and that the number and quality of applications will help that effort.

Developing a broad mailing list of interested makers is also in our long term interest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:13 am 

Wayne

I liked your images from the past years. I feel it important that we maintain that continuity.

At the same time I hope that we can use the fair and it's images to reflect the diversity of our membership and mission.

I'd like to see Cam and Swink do ones also.

A nice little quartet of images seems just about right to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Judeling wrote:
Wayne

I liked your images from the past years. I feel it important that we maintain that continuity.

At the same time I hope that we can use the fair and it's images to reflect the diversity of our membership and mission.

I'd like to see Cam and Swink do ones also.

A nice little quartet of images seems just about right to me.
I agree, it's fine to have a variety of presentations. The poster for this year is consistent with last year's overall look, but of course with more application of color and substitution of the Maker Dude image. I focused in past years on producing something that will look good in black/white; if we're keeping the Maker Dude image or using others, I think they need some treatment in order to print well in black/white.

In one or more of our products, I'd like to incorporate some iconic images that uniquely represent our organization too, like the Spoonapault, Treb-Foshay, and building rendering.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Judeling wrote:
Wammie et al I'm interested in anything you have...

I'll dig up everything I can find.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 am 

Wammie had approached me about working collaboratively on the graphic components for this year's Minne-Faire, but only after both he and I had started work on concepts of our own. He and I still hope to get together this week (Tuesday or Wednesday this week, some around 7:30 or so). Anyone else with graphic hacking inclinations are invited to attend and/or provide feedback and additional material.

I support Judling's suggestion that we use a variety of images to promote the fair. There may be potential attendees who have their eye caught by one design more than another, and a broad net catches more fish, as it were.

Below is my initial draft of a poster intended to be printed full-color at 11 x 17 inches.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:20 pm 

Nice Chris

In a way it plays very well with Wayne's.

I'd like to print up 10 to 25 or so of the various images that we settle on and offer signed copies at the fair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next