Site Logo

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: we want to build 8 computers for classes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 pm 

I would like to add, I was in on saturday, and watched as garbage, sawdust, and wood scraps accumulated in the classroom and wood area, and were left where they fell.

sad.

Riley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 am 
Site Admin

This discussion is getting a bit off topic. Anyhow, on Saturday I swept up some junk on the classroom floor and put it and the old trashbag with some trash in a new bag. I put a fresh bag in the trash can.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:06 pm 

I want to apologize for the tone of my earlier post; I was in a foul mood when I wrote it.

I want to say thanks again to all the hard work that's going into those workstations in particular, and the classroom in general.

It's nice to see people step up and get stuff done.

Every time I look at that board and see more computers coming online, it really really makes me happy.

The cleaning issue is vital, and I think it'll be adressed elsewhere; I don't want to step on someone elses awesome by ranting about that here.

Thanks again, Wayne, Bryan, (Brian?) Booka, and the rest of you for making these classroom computers happen, and be excellent.

Riley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:30 pm 
Global Moderator

I dropped a 6 foot 25 to Centronics 36 cable for the color laser off today, but since it has not moved (the Laser) I will ask if plans changed?

If we are not going to use it, I found a group that will.

If we are, I tossed the printer cable on the top of the telco rack in the classroom.

Booka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:15 pm 

Sorry if I'm resurrecting some ancient history. Just wondering where this is at and if any help is needed. I'd be interested in helping with any other network/systems infrastructure things on the "Master List" as well. I can # rm -drf /* with the best of them LOL. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:37 pm 

To the best of my knowledge, we now have the computers built.

They all got moved out of the classroom while it was being used for other purposes.

The next big thing, in my opinion, is to come up with a better way to keep these workstations usable, storable, and movable. I'm thinking carts or totes.

For me, personally, I'd like to have the default setting for the classroom be to have more computers set up in it, move them out when needed, and back when whatever class or event is done.

Anyone have any ideas for cheap, easy to make rolly computer carts?

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:03 am 

You thinking small cart with full setup (cpu, kbd, display) or Big ol' Flatbed to cart them all away for hibernation and live life unplugged for a while? I kinda like the idea of the tidy little cart with everything you need and can be easily parked.

I saw the pile of workstations downstairs... I'm assuming those are the complete workstation? I didn't see much in the way of displays. I may be able to donate a couple lcds if would help 17'" - 19" flat panels disimilar makes but work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:05 am 
Global Moderator

Did a PXE server ever get built, I have a hardware stash at FreeGeek to put a PC in the woodshop, (without many moving parts, so it may survive a while) but it would have to have a PXE server, or some other way to boot without a drive controller.

I could see if it boots from a USB drive, but the PXE server solution had a bunch of other capabilities that would suit classes, or group build nights too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:38 am 

For myself, I'm thinking a little cart for each pc.

Everything on the little cart, all plugged in and attached.

You roll the little cart into the classroom, it's just the right size to fit under the standard black tables in there, plug a power strip cord into an outlet, lift the display mouse and keyboard onto the table, and start working.

Add the step of plugging in a network cable , or installing an internal wireless card.

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:42 pm 

Speaking as the freshly-anointed Networking Poobah (or whatever):

The challenge with classroom computers is keeping the space flexible. We can't keep computers on the tables, because we need to be able to move them around, and have the surfaces for non-computer classes. Carts would be a great solution, but then we need parking space for when they're not in use. Power and networking bring in challenges too.

But we can figure out a way to do it -- I've done it before, in a previous professional lifetime. At some point in the next few weeks I'll be setting up a meeting to talk about what we have, what we want, and how to get from A to B. A PXE/TFTP boot server is on my list, along with some other goodies...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next