Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
SeanRsquared

Best Welding class to attend

Postby SeanRsquared » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:26 am

I was planning on taking one of the upcoming welding classes

MIG and TIG welding http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2457703056

Intro to Oxy/Acetylene http://introtooxynov.eventbrite.com/

Intro to stick welding http://introtosmaw-eorg.eventbrite.com/

They all look great, but I don't know which one to take. I have no welding experience. I am interested in learning how to do general welding with the widest applicability. I don't have any projects in mind yet, but mostly general metal art sculptures, basic structural frames, etc... with whatever cheap/free metal I could find. I would love to take all of them, but its not feasible time or moneywise at this time. So which type of welding should I learn first and which class should i take? Thanks

otto_pjm

Re: Best Welding class to attend

Postby otto_pjm » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm just getting back into welding after a long absence and am no expert, but I think the most bang for your buck would be with the MIG TIG class. MIG gear is realitivly cheap and plentiful and covers up to about 1/4" in steel, which is most of what I'll need. TIG will let you do Aluminum and Stainless if that interests you.

Pete

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:38 pm

I would make an argument for learning to gas weld. Its a slower process than an instant arc. But you really get a feel for how the metal heats up and when its ready to pool in metal. This is how I learned to weld, and think its a great way to see metal in its "plastic" nature. Its actually rather relaxing to weld with gas.
Last edited by swinkdaddy on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have kilt, will travel...

SeanRsquared

Postby SeanRsquared » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:01 pm

whats the main differences between all the various types of welding?

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Ahhh, That answer could take all day. so here is the short answer

They all heat metal to its semi liquid state where the material can reform into a new shape. Arc welding heats the metal up where the contacts touch. Gas uses heat from a neural flame.

Most MIG machines make the arc contact with a consumable wire that also becomes the metal filler.
Stick, like MIG, but can do thicker stuff. the rod is the consumable. it has a flux that gasses off to keep the weld clean.
TIG uses a tungsten electrode that is not quickly consumed to make the arc, and the user fills in metal (wire) the other hand.
GAS flame heats the metal to a cherry red state. The user added metal to the weld "pool" like the TIG to make a connection.

MIG and TIG use a shield gas at the tip to keep oxygen from the weld pool.
Have kilt, will travel...

Return to “General Discussion”