Site Logo

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Meeting on the 25th
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:29 pm 

jtbarclay wrote:
Do we have the room at 7 this time or not until 8 like last time?

I have confirmed with CR that we have the room from 7:00 - 10:00 tonight. (which I think gives us a whole bonus hour, by their rules, IIRC)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

F***

Messed up sleep schedule and Phone/Alarm clock fail :( I also missed meeting my gf earlier this evening. Not a good day.

Hope the meetup was fun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 pm 

I've uploaded some of the photos I took this evening to Flickr.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:51 pm 

Looks like quite the turnout! Can anybody provide a quick bullet list of the discussions? I also noticed that place for rent the last time I was down, any guesses on rent for that type of bldg in that neighborhood?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 am 

I was actively listening, but my mind was too preoccupied with my accelerometer to make intelligent comments tonight.

Along with what Jude was saying about our group currently having an electronics focus. I 100% agree with his observations, however at least for me, that's not why I'm here. Electronics are easy, I've got my soldering station, and for what I do I don't need expensive power supplies, I've got batteries. When I finally get to a point where I need a scope I can pick up a used analogue scope for near what I paid for my soldering station.

What I'm looking to do is broaden my skill set, and use skills I already have but don't have the tools needed to use them. I want a full wood shop because my current wood working tools are almost nonexistent. A metal shop would be nice to have too, even though I currently have no knowledge whatsoever of metal working.

For me the point of having this group is not so that I can continue solely with electronics, I can do that on my own. I'm here to teach other people what I know about electronics and in return learn other areas from them. Oh and also to have something to keep me distracted from how much my life would otherwise suck for another 10 months until I turn 21...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 am 
Site Admin

also soon to be posted on the wiki

Meeting Notes for February the 25th

Round the table Introduction:
Everybody introduced themselves and we all got to know each other a bit. A few new people who just learned about our group showed up.

Guest Speaker: Steve from Studio Bricolage:
Steve told us about his space which a few members visited on the 23rd of Feb. He told us Studio Bricolage is the adult version of Leonardo's Basement which he is also a part of. He spoke of the current space which is in the same building as Leonardo's Basement and how they were looking for a different physical space but that has been put on hiatus for the time being.

Talk Concerning Make: Day at the Science Museum:
Several people will be volunteering their time for setup and tear down on March 14th. Currently 3 people have confirmed with Nick at Make Television, and another two spoke that they will also help out. We are looking for about 8 people total, 4 for the morning shift, and 4 for the afternoon shift.
Morning Shift: 8-12
Afternoon Shift 12-4pm
Also the spoon-a-pult might be showcased at the event and T-shirts will be made for the volunteers to wear at the event.

Space offer from Steve at Studio Bricolage:
Steve from Studio Bricolage offered to let us use his space for the time being. The next meeting on the 4th is scheduled to meet at Studio Bricolage so we can have a look at the place, but an official decision will be left until the officall meeting on the 11th of March.

Official Meeting Discussion:

Our first Official meeting will be held at the Common Roots Cafe on March 11th there will be an RSVP thread so we know how many people to expect. Also there is a "Agenda for the first Official Meeting" thread where you can post topics you think should be addressed during our first official meeting.

What type of group are we discussion:
At the end there was discussion about what type of group we are, it was mentioned that we are basically a "electronics group" and the group discussed the notion and what that meant. Some people were concerned that a title like that would limit our group from expanding into other fields of making things, but nothing concrete was determined.

Final Notes:
It was a great turnout, people were excited to talk about the space, and I personally left with high hopes about our newly formed group. Pictures will be posted on the Flickr page.