Site Logo

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Help Moving CNC Router
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:27 pm 

note, as stated above, it hung over the sides of a 5 foot wide trailer, this was mentioned when Booka suggested his pickup.

It's marked as 89" inches at it's longest, so 7 foot plus. That's a big machine.

Riley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 am 

otto_pjm wrote:
Hey Matt,

What part of Saint Paul? I'd suggest that Weds Night might be a good time, either grab a few people from the HF and go get it, or plan to have Saint Paul people or those to the East meet you and the truck and load it on the way in, Say at about 6:30. I'd be happy to help, I live in Saint Paul, and am the guy you talked about Joe's CNCs with the other night.

I can't see bringing it in being a problem with the area managers, but it is a good idea to run it by them. This is a device definitely worth making room for, if we need to parts out the CyberOptic to make room, that would be the way to go in my opinion.

I don't know if you belong to Google+, but that's a decent way to coordinate Hack Factory projects that need rapid back and forth communication.

Pete

It was great speaking with you the other night. I live near Como Park, love it here so far. I have a Google+ account but don't use it much. I am currently having a great conversation with John and Chris about the move. Once we finalize things I will send out the specifics about how/when we will move the machine. Also, I am debating going back to Illinois to get to bottom half of the base, since I am assuming someone can help me weld it back together.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:07 am 

metis wrote:
another of our cnc guys has a full sized flatbed pickup, not to volunteer him, but i'm certain that it's fit on that fine.

what flavor of architecture were/are you in? i'm an underemployed cad manager and architectural designer (mostly residential, space planning, and lighting design)

First thanks to everyone for offering help. Still thinking U-haul, but I will decide that once everything is worked out.

Metis: In architecture, I worked mostly on commercial spec buildings for developers, which can be great or horrible. The firm I worked for was very small, but we cranked out a wide variety of projects. We were constantly doing renovations/new space fit-outs for developers. I had a lot of freedom to design, but of course was locked in to my good old friend AutoCAD 90% of the time (a guy has to go to bathroom and get coffee during the other 10% of the time). That is what I am trying to get away from. After sitting behind a desk for the past 6 years I think I need a change of pace. My brain retracts in horror to think about running AutoCAD for the rest of my life, and not sure I want to march my way up the ladder in a firm to get out of that situation. Part of me moving is to shake things up, I am making this up as I go!

I would consider myself a Designer in my heart, but who doesnt in the architecture field? My girlfriend is going to the U of M also in Architectural Design for her masters, when I read her theory books it makes me want to go get my PhD, but I just laughed out loud thinking of me going back to school!!!

The biggest reason for having a CNC Machine is to start to design furniture and other items to keep my brain working properly. I can fill up a sketchbook in a month, but these ideas seem to never become realized in physical form. And now that I have the machine, that hasn't got much better, but I am working on changing that. I look forward to meeting you and speaking about architecture and design.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 am 

Ha, keeping the brain active is the number one reason we all come together at the Hack Factory. Its such a worthy goal...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 pm 

well, the truck i was thinking of is iirc a 8'+ bed full width which would be ~7' wide, with removable side and back slip in rails.

Post subject: Help Moving CNC Router
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 am 

John and I met with Matt last night at the Hack Factory. Shop management gives this move the green light. We were impressed with Matt's enthusiasm for the space in general, as well as his eagerness to share his toys, his willingness to help others to use it responsibly, and, of course, the equipment itself.

A temporary wood base will be built so it doesn't sit too low, and Matt may be bringing the original steel frame in at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I'll let Matt cover the details of who, where, and when. The what is now an exciting reality.

This does bring up the subject again about naming the various CNC machines, so they can be readily distinguished from one another. I suggested Harpo, Chico, Groucho, Zeppo and Gummo (if we need a sixth name, the brothers Marx called their father "Frenchy" as the family were originally Alsatian, from France near the German border).

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.852723,-93.281808
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 am 

Finally moving the CNC machine tonight. We need at least two more people interested in lifting it on to a flat bed pickup? I live in St. Paul near Como Park. The time is not finalized, but I am assuming it will be after 5pm. Thanks again for the warm welcome, I look forward to becoming a more active member.

Link to where I live.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:26 am 
Site Admin

did this happen?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:13 am 

paulsobczak wrote:
did this happen?

No. We are currently working it out for Saturday afternoon, pending we get a few more people to get it out of my garage.

I will update the thread when things are definite.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 pm 

I am up for helping on Shatterday.

Here's my deal, I think I'm going to be at the space before noon, well before y'all get going (I could be wrong).

If someone were willing to come to the space to grab me, I would be happy to assist in any way I can. (I assume lifting.)

If this ends up being a morning thing, I will be in downtown saint paul, but would still need a ride to the pickup location.

Let me know.

Riley