Site Logo

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: There was an auction today, and we got ...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 pm 

We got a shop sized compressor, sadly it's air dryer went for $300 bucks on it's own, so I didn't get it. Also I was really hopeful we could score a sweet Di-Arco bender, but it got above $350 so I had to stop.

Anyway, if you have good ideas on how to distribute air to the locations that would benefit from it, I'd like to hear them, it will likely be coming next week.

Did you check with the shop managers first?

you bet I did, and they have dibs on the first rides on the in shop hovercraft this thing will power. :)

His name is Curtis, I hope you'll all make him feel welcome.

Post subject: Re: There was an auction today, and we got ...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 pm 
Global Moderator

Welcome Curtis...

Now to find him a nice spot to bed down, and get him to work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:59 am 
Site Admin

YESSSSSS!!! Breathe, Curtis, breathe, things will be fine...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 am 

Curtis should be arriving Friday day, to make that happen a pallet jack and something we can use as a dock plate would we extremely helpful. If you have access to such things and could bring them in please let me know.

I have an AL ATV type ramp that's rated at 1000 lbs, so in theory this with some plywood could be used as light duty dock plate. The compressor is supposed to be about 800 lbs, so it should work, I'd be happier with an actual aluminum or steel plate, but I don't know where to find one.

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm 

Very nice! Did delivery go smoothly, or what's the current status?

I'll vote for PEX tubing to plumb air around the space. It's very easy to work with, quick to change or undo, and pretty darn affordable compared to copper or steel pipe and fittings. A coworker has a PEX ring swaging tool that I could probably borrow if nobody else has that kind of thing handy.

We'll also need to get at least a pressure regulator to keep the plumbed portion at 90psi for air tools. A water separator, filter, etc. would be nice but isn't as essential as just getting it regulated. Having done it the other way, I highly recommend getting a good quality regulator (no Harbor Freight or Northern Tool stuff!) and isolating it from the vibration of the compressor with a few feet of rubber air line. It'll make the moving parts and gauges last a lot longer to not be rattled to death every time the compressor is running.

Perhaps regulate and plumb a supply to the wood shop and metal shop, but also leave a large diameter unregulated tap right at the compressor for hovercraft science, etc. (sounds like fun!!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 pm 

Whips is the slang for the rubber hoses...I think. I would say that we should run a small rubber hose like karl said; but I would put it on the work side of the transfer line. Pex doesn't move as greatly as rubber does. Also I disagree with you on the water seperator and air filter. We would be moving a large volume of air through those hoses; which would added up to a lot of moisture quick. Also it doesn't help that the tank was only drained recently. My concern right now is the location of this beast; the noise generated; and the power needed to run it. When I looked at the plate it had 208, 240, and 460 on that motor. 208 is the singe to neutral, isn't it? So does that mean this runs on 3 phase? It also said "PH 3" on the plate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:41 pm 

Yeah, according to the nameplate it's a 10HP 3ph motor. Power shouldn't be a problem, the large overhead bussway is 240v 3ph, no neutral. I can't remember what, if anything, the nameplate listed for minimum circuit ampacity and maximum overcurrent protection, but the running amperage is only about 26A at 240v.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:26 pm 

In respect to water separation (always good for the tools) is that the separator should be at least 10 ft from the source. This gives time for moisture to condense back into droplets which the separator can trap better. This comes from the OLD auto paint guys. Who would often run a coil of copper off the tank and into the separator with about 15-20ft worth of air travel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:26 pm 

I'd defer to others on the best setup, if pex is up to the piping needs that would be a fantastic choice, I'm very excited about that possibility.

What I do know about the status and plans for the compressor is (note all plans likely to change)
  • noise is likely to be a big issue, an isolated enclosure / room may be needed. TBD on fire up.
  • the compressor sat for many months with water in it so the tank took a hit, and the oil situation is unknown
  • While the compressor is rated for high volume and high pressure, it's possible the max pressure may be run closer to tool needs (90 - 100 psi) to extend the life of the unit / reduce wear and tear again TBD
  • Luno is investigating a tank flush / tumble / clean-up / hopefully he can comment , this may take some time, and definitely some effort
  • I've found some air tools, on auction (imagine that) and will procure and donate them if I'm successful

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 pm 

My best guess for the amperrage is 30A. 10hp~7500W/240V~30A. That's assuming 100% energy transfer... Also, I don't know how 3 Ph factors in with that calculation (or if it does...)