Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TC Maker vs Hack Factory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

So just tonight I was thinking there was a Board Meeting. Then I remembered that I missed it last week when I was sick. So I decided to go on the wiki and check the minutes. I came across the following.

Quote:
• Rebranding. Discussion of putting it up to a vote - Should we be known as Hack Factory
or TC Maker? There is a concern about having a name for the organization and another
name for the work space, that it is confusing and dilutes our brand name. Many believe
we should be just one entity and one entity alone. Chris, Scott, and Darren, will work on
voting system. Voting system will be out in 2 weeks, and will be voted on in the
following 2 weeks so it will be official by next meeting. The votes will be electronic
(email); the process doesn't need to be as complicated as the vote for the by-laws. Dave
will spearhead the blog announcement, discussion on the forum will be spearheaded by
Riley. Voting will be closed the at midnight Tuesday the day before next Board meeting

I know that opinions on this issue have been floating around for a very long time. I'm just surprised I haven't heard about this move to make an actual decision, at all.

I still get a little uppity about this because I am still undecided on which I think would be best for the group. I've always thought of the group as TC Maker but I've been referring to the shop as The Hack Factory for a solid few months.

It looks like the board will eventually be asking for our input. I don't need to incite any huge debate here since this is not where any decision is going to be made. I just wanted to make sure as many people as possible are aware of this so that they have the oportunity to make up their minds before being sprung for an answer.

Post subject: Re: TC Maker vs Hack Factory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 pm 

I'd Just like to point out that there is a third option that needs to be actively considered.

Do Nothing. Leave it alone.

Is there really a need to engage in this passionate debate?
Is brand dilution really an issue?

The Twins play at Target field.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 pm 

If you cruze around the net and look at other hackerspaces a couple of them do the same thing.....cow town computer congress resides in a place called hammerspace. I don't think that its is an issue of what are name is or where we work. More a matter of what we do. It's kinda open ended when people ask me what I do at the HF; and all I can say is I make stuff.

Post subject: TC Maker vs Hack Factory
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:46 am 

I'm with Jude on this. It works for me, and branding is something I do for a living. Our brands are well established.

I like the Twins and Cow Town comparisons. I have generally turned to Sears and Craftsman to illustrate this concept.

If people are confused, the answer is a style guide, not a rebrand.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Admin

The community has been known as Twin Cities Maker since inception as a website. There has been significant time and effort put into establishing the community brand, in virtual, physical, and legal arenas. It would take quite a bit of undoing and redoing to change the status quo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 am 

I see the argument for both too. But at this point I DO like that we are Twin Cities Makers and the shop is the Hack Factory.

Reason:
Twin Cities Makers is also an active description of who and what we are. It states a location and an action. Someone who never has heard of us can have a pretty good idea of where we are and and that we make things. The down side is that its a crappy identifiable space name.

Hack Factory Is a pretty cool name. But it doesn't explain much.

I guess I'd throw my hat in for keeping both. as I see each has a need.

I tell people I am a TC Maker. I dont know how I would say "I'm a Hack Factor-y-er, um I am a member of the hack factory..." just seem awkward to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:40 am 

Swinkdaddy: How about Hackfactorian? Hackfactorer?

Even so, I stand by keeping the facility with a recognizable name as separate from the organization, whatever those evolve into over time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:59 am 
Global Moderator

Man... It's not like were trying to keep this stuff secret- we just want to put it to a vote and be done with it. Nationally people have no clue what "Twin Cities Makers" is, however many people know what "The Hack Factory" is. If were going to try to apply for grants, funding, and working with other spaces on projects, it would be good to have a clear name. Like i3detroit, we know who they are, 23b.org, Noisebridge, Hacker Dojo, NYCResistor. Where they are housed does not define who they are, and I think we need to make that distinction to reduce confusion and attract new members. Many people don't understand right away that we are the same thing.

BTW- CCCKC was always CCCKC when they were in the caves... now they too have merged with a maker type organization that was pre-established. Who knows, they may be doing the same thing in 2 years.

-David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

videoman wrote:
Man... It's not like were trying to keep this stuff secret- we just want to put it to a vote and be done with it. Nationally people have no clue what "Twin Cities Makers" is, however many people know what "The Hack Factory" is. If were going to try to apply for grants, funding, and working with other spaces on projects, it would be good to have a clear name. Like i3detroit, we know who they are, 23b.org, Noisebridge, Hacker Dojo, NYCResistor. Where they are housed does not define who they are, and I think we need to make that distinction to reduce confusion and attract new members. Many people don't understand right away that we are the same thing.

BTW- CCCKC was always CCCKC when they were in the caves... now they too have merged with a maker type organization that was pre-established. Who knows, they may be doing the same thing in 2 years.

-David

I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to keep anything secret. I just wanted to point out that it's something that I missed and other might have as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 pm 
Global Moderator

I always liked the idea of a location name, and the organization having an umbrella name. That way if we ever found an old service station we could afford, we could have a location for Vehicle hacking. Or the same is true for electronics, Food / Brew, Video production, etc, if we had the interest and financial support, we may have a couple locations some day.

My 2 cents worth.