Site Logo

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wood Lathe - Status
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:22 pm 

I spent some time with the Harbor Freight lathe early this evening. I can see the major design flaw clearly, and I'm pretty sure I know what to do about it. It works very nicely otherwise. It runs smoothly and is nice and quiet. I put in a strip of scrap oak, about 14-16 inches long and made it round. I don't recommend anyone try anything serious on it until we know my hopes are merited for the attempted fix. If it does work, people should know this machine is pretty much good only for spindles and spindly things, i.e., no bowls are in anyone's future on the HF lathe.

I will, in any case, take a look at the Shopsmith as a lathe either Tuesday or Wednesday evening and report here again.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited by Odegard on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:13 pm 

We have a lathe, ladies and gentlemen. John and I removed the offending pressed-metal base and replaced it with a one-inch oak tabletop, and bolted that sucker down tight. Users should be careful about overcranking the tailstock into the work because that motor box is still just pressed metal.

The only tools available came into the shop with Scott's Shopsmith so for now, bring in your own, or have a chat with him about his comfort with loaning them out. Users should keep me apprised about tool sharpness. Your chisels should be as sharp as they can be.

If you have questions about how to use a lathe to turn spindles, please don't just jump in with both feet. Have a chat with me, or anyone else willing to share their knowledge.

As I said earlier, we do not now have the hardware necessary for turning bowls and plates, so spindles or spindly things are the thing for now. I might just have to make a replacement pawn for the giant chess set now.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.906192,-93.294318

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:47 am 

The good news is, one of Scott's gouges was sharpened by range rover Steve, and I plan to sharpen the straight edge chisels soon. A couple of people have used the lathe to actually make things, which is great. It seems to do a nice job.

Bad news: somebody left an oily mess on the lathe, that I discovered on Tuesday night. Sanding on the lathe is a good thing. Using oil or other finish on a lathe used by others is not such a good thing, especially if you don't clean up satisfactorily. I wiped up some of it with an old rag, but it needs more attention. I will try to finish that at open hack, unless the perpetrator beats me to it (I hope).

Leaving an oily mess in the woodshop can spoil the work of others, is generally unsightly, but most importantly oily finishes can be a serious fire hazard when left pooled on or under a motor housing or in an area where heat from evaporation builds up, like a balled up oily rag.

Post subject: Re: Wood Lathe - Status
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:07 pm 
Global Moderator

This brings up a good topic of sorts, not the mess, but using a Lathe to Wax or Oil a piece is common, I would doubt that it should be as messy as you described, and it should be cleaned up in whole by the person who used it.

Having said that, there is bound to be some mess in most finishing steps, and in this case we have left a tool unusable without cleanup and it should not be left to the person who wants to use the machine. Do we need to place a tool use sheet next to tools so we know whom used the tool last and who should be cleaning up the mess?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:34 pm 

I'm not eager to do that, just yet. But it has been considered briefly. I do have in the works little tip sheets for each of the tools that I plan to make available at each station. They will have safety tips, as well as courtesy recommendations (like: lower the table saw blade when you are done using it; it is safer, but also signals to others that the tablesaw is not being used). I hope to have these ready in the coming weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:39 pm 

i used a bit of mineral oil on wednesday last when i was finishing the apple masticator in the wee hours, but i'm pretty certain i cleaned up the few drips that got away-- i know i cleaned up the spot on the thickness planer table corner nearest the plug where i set the oiled rag without thinking. i'm doubtful it's my mess as most if not all of my drips should've been picked up by the mass of dust i'd produced getting the thing to a final even round, which were then shop vac'd up. everything felt clean and dry when i ran my hand over the obvious bits to be certain, because loose finishes in general are BAD. i'm stranded this eve due to vehicles issues (not mine for once) but if you think it may have been my mess i'll swing through one of the next few evenings after work and see what i can tidy.

in a related vein, slam cans for oily rags would be ideal. i took my oiled stuff home (even though mineral oil doesn't spontaneously combust iirc) because i couldn't think of an appropriate place to put them that wouldn't make a further mess, or might get hot metal dropped into it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm 

I'm not sure who it was, Metis, but there remains quite a bit of oily residue on the lathe frame, the tool rest, and especially the surface of the bench behind the lathe. Please take a look at the space and see if you can do anything to clean it up beyond what I did (which was to wipe up the majority of the visible splash drops, and whatever was on the motor housing).

For all: When sanding or applying finish on the lathe, the tool rest should be removed, and perhaps some paper or other drop cloth could be used to minimize the "splash" that occurs during the rotation.

In our shop, I see little reason to use finish on wood while it sits on a tool. Mineral oil, as one example, may not ruin wood; unless the woodworker intends to apply a water-based finish. Then, the oil may prevent the polyurethane (for example) from bonding appropriately, or at the very least potentially cause the oil-stained area to be discolored in relation to the rest of the piece. If wood is tainted with any oil (or glue, for that matter) prior to staining or dying, this can also cause noticeable difference in color.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.852756,-93.281724

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 pm 

I'll check in in the next few days, i'm back on 12 hr work days, but should be able to swing by. if it was on the motor housing it wasn't me, but I'll still tidy a bit.

on the lathe paper should be used, fabric can catch, which while exciting, is a lot more bad than paper tearing off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:57 pm 

Thanks! Like I said, I took care of the worst of it already.

RE: Drop cloth. Yeah. Paper is easier, cheaper and generally safer. I didn't go into too much detail, but my vision for "dropcloth" was to bungie, tape or otherwise secure some kind of tarp or canvas down on the table to cover the areas where splash could potentially be sprayed.