Site Logo

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: New CNC area - making CNC user-friendly.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 am 

Since I posted earlier, it appears I now am available only in the late afternoon, or Sunday the 2nd.
I know that Luno has not been feeling well, so that may play a part in lowering expectations for Oct. 1, and possibly re-scheduling. I'll keep checking these forums to see what you want to do, Luno.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:17 pm 

I'm mostly recovered from my cold. I should be good to go tomorrow. Sorry for being dead quiet in the meanwhile - there was a lot of sleep and sniffling involved, but very little productivity in the last few days.

My son and I plan to get to the shop around 10:30AM and stay 'til it's cleaned to my satisfaction. Ideally, that means nothing on the floor that isn't on a cart/table/workbench of some sort, and each machine looks either ready to work or ready for whatever steps are next to be taken in its repair/construction. If there's a reasonable crowd for cleaning, we can probably pitch in and either grill something or order pizza.

After the cleaning is done, I have some minor repairs to do on my own CNC - I broke one of the limit switches while I was moving it. I expect to be out of there no later than 5PM; home in time for dinner.

Also (of only tangential relevance), Rockler has some nice wooden woodworking clamps on sale starting October 1st. They're usually 17.99, but they're down to 5.99 for the sale. Their catalog number is 30800 - we should probably pass the hat and get a dozen or so for the woodworking area while they're this cheap. I'll pony up for two myself. Want to pester people to contribute, Mister O?

Post subject: New CNC area - making CNC user-friendly.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm 

Yes. Yes, I do. I love clamps.

For tomorrow, I'll see what I can do about dropping in. It may not be until later in the afternoon. It so depends on how long my daughter's volleyball team hangs on in the tournament. It could be after 3:30 pm if they go all the way.

Edit add: Jude's electrical cart and little cart of wires should be put in the circuit breaker room for now. (unless he's using it at the time, of course ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 pm 

If I remmber right the electrical breaker room is accessed from both the hacker factory and jepsen. IMO I wouldn't put anything in there that we can't lose. Of course I could be wrong.

Post subject: New CNC area - making CNC user-friendly.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 pm 

The circuit breaker room is where Jude, jrsphoto and I agreed all of the facility electrical gear will have a home.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.906165,-93.294300
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:03 pm 

Thank you to everyone for showing up!

Results: The CNC area looks quite a bit more friendly. Great job, everybody!

The random stuff that was sitting around Pete's CNC was mostly garage sale stuff. It sounds like we'll have to either designate an area for holding these type items or we'll have to have the garage sale. ;)

The Cyberoptics machine needs love and attention. I'm willing to help bolt things together in a nice-looking and secure fashion until we get a head for it. Among those present, we talked about what that should be. The consensus seems to be that we need a laser cutter/engraver at the Hack Factory. We've already got two spindle-based machines, so that makes sense to me, at least.

The Operation game has yet to find a permanent home but Chris suggested that it should remain somewhere visible - to which the rest of us agreed. It would be great if we could hang it back up on the wall somewhere in the main area. It's a very identifiable example of the fun things that TC Makers do, and it often presents the case where passers-by might say "Oh, you're the folks with the big Operation game!", since it's so often seen at events in the community.

The other projects that were there (Paul's stone/wood thing and another table full of oddities) were gently moved to the side of the room, against the wall near the fence. The milk jugs were tied up and set on top of the office. Everything else was tidied up as best can be.

I'm going to try to find some shelves to bring in just for CNC stuff storage. We have a number of complete machines and a few more projects that are in progress. Ideally, this storage area will be reserved only for CNC area machines and works in progress, so we can keep things away from das blinkenlights und minimize der gefingerpoken. ;)

All in all, a success! Thanks again!

=) Peter / Luno

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:03 pm 

Looks awesome, dude.

Much tidier and cleaner than before.

I'm thinking about what you said about the cyber optics machine, needing a laser cutter, and the laser that's marked "I work vary well".

I feel the beginnings of an evil plan.. is this a possibility, or is it totally the wrong kind of laser?

Riley