Site Logo

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Wood Lathe - Status
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:43 pm 

There's also a live center in the tub in front of the Shopsmith. IIRC it's a #2 Morse taper, which I understand is a pretty standard type.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:23 pm 

What will it take for us to be able to leave the lathe in a way where it's usable for those who know how?

If a non-lathe savvy person attempts to use the lathe, and hurts or kills themselves, is this different than the rest of the deadly stuff in the space?

I"m not saying this to be a smart ass, but if we're going to "safe" the lathe by not leaving a live center in it, we're going to have to take the blades out of the circular saws and hide the hammers, too.

Riley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:03 pm 
Global Moderator

And that is the reason I did not leave the center there, now things have changed since I bought the center, with a lead person for the woodshop, I would have left it there with them, but just to have it sitting around so that it could be used, was and is not something I am willing to do.

But having said that, I will catch up with them and share the unit I bought for the Harbor Freight Lathe (which is also a #2, so the Shopsmith could use it too)

I just was not personally going to set up the lathe and hope for the best, but I should trust that people know their limitations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:08 am 

when you put it like that , Booka, it all makes sense, and it's all good.

I can't wait to use the thing myself.

time for a refresher course for me, I'd hate to be the first to maim myself with it.

Riley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:56 am 

To be honest if the blades could be removed quickly I'd be all for keeping them out of the saws.

But a lathe is indeed different then most other woodworking tools in that you do not have one hand holding the work. You do not get the tactile feel of the work and so do not get any of the subtle clues that indicate a problem.

Post subject: Wood Lathe - Status
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 am 

I see your point, Jude, and recognize the potential for injury on a lathe. Having said that, a jointer (as only one example) is statistically more likely up be a source of potential injury. And in the grand scope of things, an undereducated user of a lathe has almost zero potential to burn the Hack Factory down or use up a hundred dollars worth of consumable materials by leaving a valve open. From my perspective, almost everything but the drill press and cutoff disk chopsaw in the metals area is much more dangerous than anything in the wood area.

This issue of safety, education and limit of access is really a bigger conversation than the forums are suited to address.

I can only suggest that I want to help make a wood lathe available to the members, and I want to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the Harbor Freight lathe, as well as the Shopsmith to see if we currently have what it takes to make that happen.

Ultimately, I would see a lack of freshly sharpened and well-manufactured chisels and gouges for the lathe is of much greater concern than anything else to make this happen for the membership. Both in the evaluation of safety, as well as the equipment's ability to do what it is intended to do.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.852875,-93.281384
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:40 am 

Potential for injury is much greater in the metal shop. But we are not in a competition for lost limbs. My point was that if you know enough to set it up then you are more likely to know what you are doing.

While an uneducated user of a lathe would not burn the shop down flying wood is more likely to injure a bystander then any other piece of equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 am 

…and the number one most likely source of deadly wooden projectiles is the table saw. (Particularly if we ever upgrade to a Unisaw or similar machine).

So I'm with Chris on this one. I will concede that the lathes need to be labeled as "dangerous". That these tools need to be on the "needs training" list, we need to provide that training and we all need to be willing to step up and say "you're doing it wrong" if a lathe (or any other tool) is bring used unsafely or destructively.

However, my gut tells me that people who don't know how to use a lathe won't just step up and "give it a go". At least in my eyes, it doesn't lend itself to intuitive operation like a table saw does.

I would also go as far as to suggest that if a tool is going to be "heavily restricted" it may not have a place in our community shop. (Perhaps there are better uses for the space).

Again, as Chris says, this isn't really forum fodder and I don't mean this as a declarative statement--rather as an indication that the overall "principle" might require consideration, discussion and community consensus.

And, for record, I do want wood and metal lathes in the shop and I want to learn how to use them properly.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.969408,-93.508971

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:45 pm 

Jude, I'm pretty certain that behind the inherent potential for forum posts to be misinterpreted, you and I are definitely on the same page with regard to what it will take to get a wood lathe available in the shop. It also appears I could say the same for Rigger, who, like me, seems to use a lot more words to say the same thing.

You are right, Jude. The only competition worth addressing is man or woman versus machine. I think we can work toward a level playing field there, and also work toward education, which will put the machine on the defensive in that "competition" which is what we are shooting for. I only brought up welding equipment for comparison to suggest if that department can have some orange tagged equipment available at all times, we can certainly do the same with a lathe.

Chisels and gouges, on the other hand, may need to be supplied by members, or checked out on a case by case basis. When we have some, I mean.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.852754,-93.281704
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:58 pm 

I love thoughtful discussion like this, it's a pleasure to read.

I'd read more like this on any subject.

If I can help in any way in getting the lathe, and it's context, to a place where it's good for our place in all respects, let me know.

I want dangerous things in the space, but don't want any pain or blood.

Riley